keeping the coop cool

• 6 Replies

barley

keeping the coop cool
« on: July 11, 2013, 23:41 »
has any one got good ideas on how to keep the hen house box cool in these warm tempratures , they can get really hot inside

I have a home made box with a black corrugated roof it gets so hot you can't touch it - I have thrown a white dust sheet over it which helps reflect the heat and raise the lid with a small block of wood to allow air flow

it has a gridded window and vent holes but it still seems very stuffy in this heat

any other tips very welcome  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: keeping the coop cool
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18 »
My fixed run is in a spot where it is mainly shady and the moveable ones are currently placed so there is shade on them as well.  Chickens do enjoy some sun and will sunbathe, but they do need cool shade to get into as well.

If your set-up is in full sun and you can't move it, you could invest in a cheap garden parasol  :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:29 »
My fixed run is in a spot where it is mainly shady and the moveable ones are currently placed so there is shade on them as well.  Chickens do enjoy some sun and will sunbathe, but they do need cool shade to get into as well.

If your set-up is in full sun and you can't move it, you could invest in a cheap garden parasol  :)

Try Freecycle for the parasol or a golf umbrella :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:05 »
my run is roofed so provides shade, also the sides are covered in plastic sheeting and a fence. The hens stay in the shrubs in the garden with extra water provided outside, but don't stay too long when laying.
Could you paint the roof white?

barley

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 17:57 »

now that's  a good idea -

yes it is a fixed 40 ft run and gets full sun during the afternoon  , the run is not a problem as it's roofed and shade cover provided and shrubs grown within the run for shade and hiding cover

its the box that can get very warm and that's where they go to lay eggs - the white sheet and cracked roof help but the parasol sounds like that would do the trick - thankyou 

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35 »
I have used a parasol for young chicks having a day outside in a movable run and it works well as long as it isn't windy - maybe you could use ropes to secure it as on a tent. :)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06 »
A bucket of water over your white dust sheet will help cool more by evaporation.

xx
Keeping hens off the coop roof

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 18:39
by jinty1911
xx
advice on keeping the coop pest free

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 13:11
by joyfull
xx
Cool looking chickens

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:38
by babe
xx
bee keeping

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 08:03
by violet

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 37 queries.