Where to buy chicken house?

• 10 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Where to buy chicken house?
« on: June 23, 2013, 14:41 »
Hello

I'm considering having chickens and wondered if anyone can tell me the best place to buy a chicken coop from. I know many people make their own but I'm not able to.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Where to buy chicken house?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 16:50 »
If you can afford it a plastic one is better than wood to avoid red mite.  Sometimes people buy a cheap wooden one and regret it.  Find good quality to last years  - and make sure you are fox proof which means using weldmesh (chicken wire doesn't keep foxes out). 

Hope you get chickens - they are wonderful!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

oborne27

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 18:21 »
I bought mine from a guy who built the coop and run for me to my size. Les Skitmore e-mail and phone number - l.skitmore@btopenworld.com 01953 499911 I hope these are still valid as it was 4 years ago.
I painted mine with Cuprinol shades to match it into the garden a bit and also to help with the Red Mite problems (not that I have ever had any).

Also there are plans available on the internet to make your own which is very easy.
Good luck

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 18:25 »
Firstly I am no expert.. I started keeping chickens last year I started with 3 and now have 17, 5 call ducks +8 ducklings and 2 runner ducks.  When I bought my first coop I wanted something traditional looking but easy to clean so I bought a timber one with plastic floor and onduline roof. It came with an automatic door which was/is great  but now I still have to see to the others so its a bit superfluous. As I need more coops I have converted a 6x4 shed (I bought 2 of Ebay less than a year old for £50, the type you get from B&Q for £150) I kept one and sold the other back on Ebay for £75 so essentially it cost me nothing. This week I have built a second 'coop' from pallet wood and tanalised battons all of which I get free from the local builders yard.  I have very limited DIY skills  but I am pleased with the result. All it cost me was some screws and a pair of hinges. I have still a bit of finishing off to do, it has to be raised off the ground and I need to fit the nest boxes.  I have attached some pix.   I have never had redmite (touch wood) Hindsight is a wonderful thing  but if I had my time over I would not have paid £300 for my first coop as a) you always buy more chickens and b) you can adapt other things that are equally as sufficient.   Just my opinion.
coop 002.JPG
coop 001.JPG
coop 003.JPG
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 18:31 by Prod »

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 19:10 »
I am very pro plastic, it is so much better that wood for those of us who cannot get creosote for treating wood against mites.
I bought my cheapest and best plastic coop from here- http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/pig-poultry/hen-houses

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 19:47 »
Firstly I am no expert.. I started keeping chickens last year I started with 3 and now have 17, 5 call ducks +8 ducklings and 2 runner ducks.  When I bought my first coop I wanted something traditional looking but easy to clean so I bought a timber one with plastic floor and onduline roof. It came with an automatic door which was/is great  but now I still have to see to the others so its a bit superfluous. As I need more coops I have converted a 6x4 shed (I bought 2 of Ebay less than a year old for £50, the type you get from B&Q for £150) I kept one and sold the other back on Ebay for £75 so essentially it cost me nothing. This week I have built a second 'coop' from pallet wood and tanalised battons all of which I get free from the local builders yard.  I have very limited DIY skills  but I am pleased with the result. All it cost me was some screws and a pair of hinges. I have still a bit of finishing off to do, it has to be raised off the ground and I need to fit the nest boxes.  I have attached some pix.   I have never had redmite (touch wood) Hindsight is a wonderful thing  but if I had my time over I would not have paid £300 for my first coop as a) you always buy more chickens and b) you can adapt other things that are equally as sufficient.   Just my opinion.
you have done well. that looks good, what will you cover the roof with?

Prod

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 19:53 »
I have lined it underneath with thick plastic sheeting which I stapled on, then battons across and then the final vertical battons, a bit like when you do a normal roof really, so it is water tight.  The pictures were taken today after torrential rain up her in the hills an as you can see the inside is bone dry.

samuria

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 20:11 »
i will have to start hunting down some pallets
as i want to build one now :D

grinling

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 20:12 »
you could try gumtree, preloved, ebay or google, or look at sale ads in feed merchant, local paper etc. take a piece of paper and scrap inside cracks for red mite.
My house is wooden and sits in a waterproof run area, with outer secure area, though they are mainly free range. No fox problem so use chicken wire. Roofed area is metal sheeting, outer area bean netting. No red mite.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:44 »
i will have to start hunting down some pallets
as i want to build one now :D

Most sites where building is going on will be pleased to let you have pallets as they just fill the skips which go to landfill!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16 »
I have lined it underneath with thick plastic sheeting which I stapled on, then battons across and then the final vertical battons, a bit like when you do a normal roof really, so it is water tight.  The pictures were taken today after torrential rain up her in the hills an as you can see the inside is bone dry.

Sorry Prod, but if you do get red mite, they will love hiding in between the plastic sheeting and the wooden roof.  Felt on the outside would have been better as your roof is wood.  I know red mite love felt too, but if it was stuck down with bitumen all over and not just round the edges, there is less likelihood that the mites will get under it.  ;)

xx
example of chicken house

Started by dshand on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:53
by mumsy
xx
new chicken house :-)

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:12
by Vember
xx
New chicken house

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 05:12
by terri
xx
new chicken house

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 23:52
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 34 queries.