Re: sowing sweet peas
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 18:43 »
 :ohmy:

That's a pity

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 23:49 »
Thanks.  I guess I am a little concerned about the depth.  Don't have anywhere near enough toilet rolls (like, none!)

I'll have another look at other options.

You don't save toilet rolls! :ohmy:

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 00:02 »
sowed mine on 1st feb in toilet rolls. now about 4 cm tall. watered lightly 2 days ago. have noticed several  of the rolls have a white fluffy mould on the outside of the tube. shud  i be worried?

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 00:14 »
sowed mine on 1st feb in toilet rolls. now about 4 cm tall. watered lightly 2 days ago. have noticed several  of the rolls have a white fluffy mould on the outside of the tube. shud  i be worried?

I don't get worried when the loo rolls I sow my onions in get a bit fluffy - it's part of the composting/deteriorating process. Doesn't seem to affect whats growing inside.

Don't know if anyone else has had any problems but I don't seem too :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 21:06 »
sowed mine on 1st feb in toilet rolls. now about 4 cm tall. watered lightly 2 days ago. have noticed several  of the rolls have a white fluffy mould on the outside of the tube. shud  i be worried?

I don't get worried when the loo rolls I sow my onions in get a bit fluffy - it's part of the composting/deteriorating process. Doesn't seem to affect whats growing inside.

Don't know if anyone else has had any problems but I don't seem too :)

No, a sign of a healthy soil is a bit of white mould - they packet it up, charge £10 for a small bag and call it mycorrhizal fungi!  OK, I am being cheeky, but it's pretty harmless in my experience - I have never lost a plant where the rolls have got mouldy yet anyway.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 21:07 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53 »
I think it's the glue that's used to stick them together that promotes the growth of mould, but as others have said it doesn't seem to affect the seedlings.

I've moved on to paper pots though, mainly because the toilet roll tubes of the brand I use seem to have become narrower in the last year or so and are now a bit marginal for larger seeds like runner beans. They are also less prone to develop the white mould, although not completely immune.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:02 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 23:02 »
That is true JayG.
I cut loo rolls in half to start my onion sets in and some are a bit narrow now.

Need to buy the really really cheap loo paper that has hardly any paper on it beacuse the roll is so wide!! :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 14:05 »
So who has got there's in already?

Last year I tried autumn sowing and they went a treat. This year I'm still thinking about it.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 14:09 »
I sowed mine at the beginning of Feb, indoors. only one of the blue has come up and none of the red. half of the bicolour have poked wispy heads up and been sent outdoors under cover.

Have I done something wrong?  ???

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 15:25 »
My sweet peas are just starting to sprout. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 15:59 »
I sowed mine at the beginning of Feb, indoors. only one of the blue has come up and none of the red. half of the bicolour have poked wispy heads up and been sent outdoors under cover.

I wouldn't have thought so.

I recall someone else saying that germination was erratic this year --possibly Mumofstig  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 16:13 »

I wouldn't have thought so.

I recall someone else saying that germination was erratic this year --possibly Mumofstig  :unsure:

7 seedlings out of close on 40 seeds is a new definition of erratic for me! Ah well, will start again!  :wub:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 16:32 »
That is true JayG.
I cut loo rolls in half to start my onion sets in and some are a bit narrow now.

Need to buy the really really cheap loo paper that has hardly any paper on it beacuse the roll is so wide!! :lol:

Bit drastic!  :ohmy:  (I have heard that really cheap toilet paper is a bit rough on the whole.)   ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 19:11 »
That is true JayG.

Bit drastic!  :ohmy:  (I have heard that really cheap toilet paper is a bit rough on the whole.)   ;)

That's unfortunate  :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 15:19 »
That is true JayG.

Getting to the bottom of the problem JayG?

I think mine will be sown in piddly pots or cells. They can wiggle their long tap roots round until I'm ready to unwind them gently and stick them in the ground. It's worked in past years.

Uncaring? Not really just can't be doing with fiddling and faffing.... I'll sow lots so some are sure to do something sensible.  :tongue2:

xx
Sweet Pea sowing time

Started by llinx on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 22:15
by Sweet-Pea
xx
Keeping and re-sowing sweet pea seeds

Started by dig4victory on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 14:53
by Trillium
xx
sweet peas

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 08:47
by mumofstig
xx
B & Q Sweet Peas

Started by DD. on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:25
by DD.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 34 queries.