'Unusual' squash plants

• 10 Replies

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
'Unusual' squash plants
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:53 »
have a bed this year 20' by 4' to devote to squashes etc. Have a few Cobnut awaiting frosts to pass and a couple of pumpkins for the nephews etc at halloween.  But still some room for something unusual, tasty and good for storage.

Its a raised bed, reasonable soil but dug over this year after couple of years fallow..

...any suggestions?
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

compostqueen

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 13:16 »
winter pumpkins and squashes. So don't just hollow out that pumpkin and compost the flesh. Get it turned into tasty soup  :D   Crown Prince is a lovely winter squash as is Festival and Harlequin. They look gorgeous on the plot, supress weeds with their large leaves and they'll keep, the Crown Prince possibly the longest.  It has grey blue hard skin but it's thin so there's no waste. Great keeper and a great eater. Holds its shape well when cubed say for a curry or casserole. The festival and Harlequins are good in rissotto or pilaff. The less tasty ones still make fab soup

Oh another squash I like is Sweet Mama which is a good masher and tastes a bit like sweet potato in my opinion.  I grew some pie squashes last year, Green Striped Cushaw. There are lots of different varieties and some you can grow specifically for the edible seeds. A very worthwhile veg I reckon.  I grew a bonkers Jumbo Pink Banana a few years ago which got hoooooge  :D

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 13:22 »
question is

20' by 4' how many could I get in situ?  seem to indicate 3' between plants in all the guides...  

does this mean I could get

6 plants in the bed straight down the middle with 1' either end or

11 plants in two rows with the second row staggered each being about a 1' from the edge of the bed?

Total novice confusion here lol

compostqueen

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 13:29 »
They do need three feet as some of them make large plants, and they are heavy feeders, requiring lots of muck  :D   I have some four foot wide beds and I think you could get two across but one would be preferable.  I take some of the leaves off as the fruits form so you can see them and let the light and air get to them. You don't want them to get too congested or you'll get early mildew

I grow mine in old plastic dustbins, builders rubble sacks, on the top of the plastic dalek compo bins (filled with manure) so if you're short of space on the ground grab a container  :D

kezlou

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 15:47 »
What size containers did you grow your squashesin? I'm intrigued as i really want to grow pumpkins and butternut squashes. hmmmm spicy pumpkin soup!

Sorry for hijacking the thread  :oops:

Thanks in advance

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 17:46 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
winter pumpkins and squashes. So don't just hollow out that pumpkin and compost the flesh. Get it turned into tasty soup  :D   Crown Prince is a lovely winter squash as is Festival and Harlequin. They look gorgeous on the plot, supress weeds with their large leaves and they'll keep, the Crown Prince possibly the longest.  It has grey blue hard skin but it's thin so there's no waste. Great keeper and a great eater. Holds its shape well when cubed say for a curry or casserole. The festival and Harlequins are good in rissotto or pilaff. The less tasty ones still make fab soup

Oh another squash I like is Sweet Mama which is a good masher and tastes a bit like sweet potato in my opinion.  I grew some pie squashes last year, Green Striped Cushaw. There are lots of different varieties and some you can grow specifically for the edible seeds. A very worthwhile veg I reckon.  I grew a bonkers Jumbo Pink Banana a few years ago which got hoooooge  :D

Have just ordered

Turks Turban
Harlequin
Crown Prince

going to go staggered along the bed, assuming an 8 inch overhang along the edge of the border of bed where it slopes gives enough room for 11 plants each with 3' clear between all round

JimG

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 19:12 »
I'm trying squashes for the first time this year.  I've bought mine from here: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/wintersquash.html.

I have nothing to do with realseeds, by the way!

Big Jen

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 20:31 »
I am growing spaghetti and butternut squashes and one shaped like a scallop, cant remember what its called.
I tried the spaghetti squash before but only got one fruit and it tasted brilliant with a home made tomato and basil sauce. Growing about 6 this year to make sure I get a decent harvest.  :lol:  :lol:
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

compostqueen

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 23:20 »
Turks turban are fine to look at but no greak sheiks in the taste dept  :(

diggerjoe

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 13:04 »
growing 'long green cheese' - and 'striped pyjamas' which are squashes from Tozer seeds and 2 sorts squash Harrier is one can't remember the other - not grown any before but hoping they will cover the bit of plot yet to be turned over which is hiding under plastic. :)

compostqueen

'Unusual' squash plants
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 16:01 »
There was an article fairly recently about a squash seller (in England somewhere) and they plant them in rough ground.  They do a fantastic roof top display with them when they're harvested where they ripen (in the sun hopefully)  Last year the design was of a lifeboat as they were supporting the Lifeboat Institute  :D

I noticed they'd got loads of Crown Princes

xx
Growing unusual plants

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 21:02
by Trikidiki
xx
Unusual Plants this year?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 13:50
by diggerjoe
xx
squash plants

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 11:31
by juliec
xx
Should I be stopping my squash plants?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 22:26
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.