Gooseberry bush

• 6 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Gooseberry bush
« on: June 24, 2007, 13:09 »
Hi again 2 summers ago i bought a gooseberry bush and i thought i had killed it last year as it resembled a dead twig  :oops:  but im glad to say it came back lush and green again this year but ......... i dont know what im supposed to do with it do i cut it back or leave it? As im sure you are realsing by now i so dont have a clue when it comes to this but i want to try so all help appretiated  :lol:

Also how old does it have to be before it gives me any fruit as i have not had a anything yet? (not that im surprised as i nearly killed the poor thing off  :oops: )

Kind regards Nicky

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gooseberry bush
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 13:29 »
I put some cuttings in last October, and they fruited this year. I suspect yours is still suffering from it near brush with death.

Pruning wise, it's general 'housekeeping' with the bush. Cut off anything at ground level. otherwise the fruit will be on the ground. Cut back stems if they are getting too long.

It's recommended by some, and it seems a good idea, that you trim the centre out, so that the bush is 'saucer' shaped. This means you can get to the fruit without suffering fatal injuries.

And of course any dead wood has to go.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Gooseberry bush
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 13:33 »
Thank you

wellingtons

Dave ...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 14:27 »
... how big were the cuttings you put in??

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gooseberry bush
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 14:44 »
About 12" long, planted 6" deep with all foliage stripped off that bit.

wellingtons

Dammit ...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 15:59 »
... reckon i'll have a while to wait for fruit on my babies ... they're about 2 cm tall ...  :lol:

WG.

Re: Gooseberry bush
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 17:12 »
Quote from: "fallen angel"
Hi again 2 summers ago i bought a gooseberry bush and i thought i had killed it last year as it resembled a dead twig  :oops:  but im glad to say it came back lush and green again this year but ......... i dont know what im supposed to do with it do i cut it back or leave it? As im sure you are realsing by now i so dont have a clue when it comes to this but i want to try so all help appretiated  :lol:

Also how old does it have to be before it gives me any fruit as i have not had a anything yet? (not that im surprised as i nearly killed the poor thing off  :oops: )

See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=51522#51522 for pruning info

xx
Gooseberry bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 10:49
by simonwatson
clip
Gooseberry bush

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 20:56
by Trikidiki
clip
Gooseberry bush

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 12:00
by mdjlucan
xx
Gooseberry Bush

Started by Mikethw on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 21:39
by babycakes

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 36 queries.