Sweet peppers

• 11 Replies

sclarke624

Sweet peppers
« on: May 09, 2007, 15:25 »
I have some sweet peppers growing in the conservatory.  Thompson & Morgan Pepper Gourmet - Dwarf compact plants bright orange, early to ripen.  They are growing well.  They now have flowers.  Do I have to do anything with them now :?:  Does the fruit grow from the flowers :?:   Touched a flower and it dropped off, so no fruit there then. :roll:  What exactly does fruit setting mean or look like :?:

Do you think I can walk the dog and not get caught in the rain as he is giving me dirty looks and sulking  :?: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 15:54 »
i grew a pepper last year in my conservatory, each flower becomes a pepper if thats any help. i'm sure some on with a bit more knowledge will be able to answer the rest

Flying Cyril

Re: Sweet peppers
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 19:46 »
Quote from: "sclarke624"
I have some sweet peppers growing in the conservatory.  Thompson & Morgan Pepper Gourmet - Dwarf compact plants bright orange, early to ripen.  They are growing well.  They now have flowers.  Do I have to do anything with them now :?:  Does the fruit grow from the flowers :?:   Touched a flower and it dropped off, so no fruit there then. :roll:  What exactly does fruit setting mean or look like :?:

Do you think I can walk the dog and not get caught in the rain as he is giving me dirty looks and sulking  :?: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think you should take the dog out even if it means getting wet. They remember things like not going out and will get you back. My Cocker Spaniel stripped all the tomatoes off my plants a couple of years ago and ate the lot. My 2 black labs said it wasn't them and they wouldn't lie. Have you noticed your dog  eyeing up your pepper plants ???
"Flying" Cyril.
The hurrier I go the behinder I get

Trillium

Sweet peppers
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 21:47 »
You might want to get a soft, small paint brush (as in, oil painting) and carefully dust a bit of pollen onto each as I doubt you let any bees into the conservatory and personally, I wouldn't count on any breezes to do a proper job. Otherwise, no peppers.  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Sweet peppers
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 22:03 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
You might want to get a soft, small paint brush (as in, oil painting) and carefully dust a bit of pollen onto each as I doubt you let any bees into the conservatory and personally, I wouldn't count on any breezes to do a proper job. Otherwise, no peppers.  :wink:

Yes and don't knock the flowers off  :wink:

Feed them with a tomato fertilizer, not a balanced NPK one for best results. Some people pinch out the growing tip, to make the plant bush.

You know when your fruit has set as the flower petals wither and fall off, leaving behind a small swelling that grows into a pepper.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sclarke624

Sweet peppers
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 22:05 »
I think you should take the dog out even if it means getting wet. They remember things like not going out and will get you back. My Cocker Spaniel stripped all the tomatoes off my plants a couple of years ago and ate the lot. My 2 black labs said it wasn't them and they wouldn't lie. Have you noticed your dog eyeing up your pepper plants ???

Took your advice,
walked the dog,

missed the rain.  :D

Guilt dispersed  :wink: ,

dog happy   ,

me totally windswept and blind with seaspray over glasses,  8)

stepped on dogs tail    :twisted:  accidently of course, misty glasses at fault,

revenge satisfied

Pepper Plants safe.................for now.

sclarke624

Sweet peppers
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 22:09 »
Already doing the tomato fert thing Richy thanks, will try not to knock anymore flowers off.

Paintbrush good idea Trill.

charliesmum

Sweet peppers
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 13:25 »
I am growing peppers from seeds from supermarket peppers to see what happens.  They are about 2 inches high, so I am going to put them in individual pots.  Do I let them grow tall, or pinch out the middles so they go bushy ?

Also, I don't understand the pollen painting bit - do I need to use the pollen off any flowers I get on the peppers, and where do I have to paint it ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Sweet peppers
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 17:02 »
Quote from: "charliesmum"

Also, I don't understand the pollen painting bit - do I need to use the pollen off any flowers I get on the peppers, and where do I have to paint it ?

Your playing bee just get a small soft brush and just go round each flower brushing the anthers and stigma ( male and female bits ), moving the brush gently around inside each flower in turn should get all angles covered.  :D

There's a good pic of a peppers "bits" on Here if your interested.

charliesmum

Sweet peppers
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 17:27 »
Thanks for that richyrich, can't you tell this is my first year growing my own  :oops:

Fat Hen

Sweet peppers
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 17:48 »
I grow chillis which are similar just a bit warmer.  I gather it's not unusual for the early flowers to drop and not bare fruit.  I tried the paint brush thing but it never really worked for me so now I leave it to the insects.  To this end I have constucted a bee hotel in my garden to attract bees.  And it keeps my two daughters amused watching the bees and gives the chickens a break from being chased by said daughters.

Try www.chillisgalore.co.uk for info on growing chillis.

Trillium

Sweet peppers
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 21:49 »
It does work, Fat Hen, but you need to do it gently, at the right time, and be sure there's enough pollen from another plant on the brush. It's also called experience  :wink:

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
sweet peppers

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:28
by mumof4
xx
sweet peppers

Started by BELLS PLOT on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 00:44
by Trillium

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.