Sweet peppers

• 15 Replies

sclarke624

Sweet peppers
« on: March 25, 2009, 18:55 »
sweet peppers do come again the next year don't they ............I read it somewhere but mine seem to be doing nothing.  One is indoors to try and the others outside.  Maybe I'm too early for shoots to appear.

Not that bothered if they don' grow again as the new pepper (for me) I am trying this year is about to flower already.  Its been indoors, germinated end of Jan as per packet.  And much better at germinating and growing than the orange bell peppers I have had before.  They are taste of italy "Pepper Ciliegia piccante".....green tomato shaped fruits which turn red, produced on early cropping compact plants.  Can't wait to taste them and hope I won't be disapointed.  They are sweet peppers .....I hope...
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 19:40 »
They are chillies...not sweet peppers

Chilli Pepper Ciliegia Piccante (Bacio di Satana)  'Satans Kiss'....beware. This is a med-hot, cherry chilli, so called by its round shape 2cms. It loses about 60% of it's heat when cooked making it great stuffed with mozzarella and anchovies and then grilled

Ciliega piccante translates as spicy cherry

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 20:24 »
I got these from T&M they will have hell to pay if they are chillis ..........I hate them.  I have emailed them.  Their page states sweet i.e. Pepper : Peperone Ciliegia Piccante (Sweet) BUT I have seen your description on other sites since.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 14:43 »
i've got some on the windowsill.
i think it's a bit early for flowers yet.
is that what you mean by shoots? or do you mean that they've gone to the ground and not come back up yet?

Shieldsy

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 18:55 »
If you looom on the Seeds of Italy website the variety you've bought is decsribed as;
Chilli Pepper Ciliegia Piccante (Bacio di Satana)  'Satans Kiss'....beware. This is a med-hot, cherry chilli, so called by its round shape 2cms. It loses about 60% of it's heat when cooked making it great stuffed with mozzarella and anchovies and then grilled

Shieldsy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 18:56 »
Sorry, that should have read if you LOOK on the Seeds of Italy website

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 22:25 »
andreadon wrote
i've got some on the windowsill.
i think it's a bit early for flowers yet.
is that what you mean by shoots? or do you mean that they've gone to the ground and not come back up yet?

I cut the larger bell peppers down to six inches and no sign of green life yet on these, or new shoots.

However the small Pepper Ciliegia piccante which is indoors has flowers about to burst open.

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 22:27 »
Yeah shieldsy I know mumofstig already said that.  Point is T&M say they are sweet I await the answer to an email I sent them.  But thanks anyway.

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 22:28 »
However the small Pepper Ciliegia piccante which is indoors has flowers about to burst open.

Wow  :ohmy:   Your certainly doing something right there if you have flowers on already.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 22:33 »
Yeah weird eh!  I've repotted twice.  They are about 10" tall.  Fresh multicompost.  Maybe its the variety.  The third one I germinated is much slower, the fourth and fifth I can't get to germinate as yet but I wont be defeated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 18:22 »
Shiela, how did your cherry peppers turn out? Or were they chillies after all :ohmy:
Do tell.......

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 20:22 »
Dare I say I chucked the lot, which was a shame as they grew really well.  They were neither here or there, not sweet (as much as a sweet pepper is sweet) and not hot, a bit tasteless really, slight bitter taste to them.  They were a bit  fiddley to get the seed and pith out of.  They were the size of a tomato.  I won't get them again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 15:22 »
Mine are really cherry sized, bright red and flipping hot.....and they are full of seeds!!
This makes them fiddley to prepare, unless you want to use the seed in the meal (i think this would be too hot for me :ohmy:)
So neither of us got what we wanted out of those packets. The joys of gardening eh?
Have to try another next year :)

sclarke624

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 01:18 »
Which ones did you have or did you have the same ones.  Yeah come to think of it they were more than a bit fiddly, I chucked them some time ago but remembering they were very full of seeds in a small cavity.  They were only slightly bigger than a cherry tom.

I can recommend these though if you want a sweet orange pepper Orange bell.:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/642/1.html

Lovely and sweet.  Sweeter than these that I usually do Gourmet:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/62/1.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:22 by sclarke624 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 17:59 »
I tried the Iranian Round from Real Seeds http://www.realseeds.co.uk/hotpeppers.html

Mine were supposed to be hot, and they were right... they are hot!! but just packed so full of seeds that they are a nightmare to use in anything  :(
I also grew their sweet pepper 'Napia early pointy red' which has finally set loads & loads of fruit (I sowed late :(...I love just grilling them!
Think I will try your 'Orange Bell' sweet pepper next year though, (which I've just noticed on Real Seeds site as well :) and look for another chilli to try...
 :lol:

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
sweet peppers

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet peppers

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:28
by mumof4

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 37 queries.