sweet peppers

• 8 Replies

mumof4

sweet peppers
« on: March 03, 2008, 13:14 »
Can any one suggest a heavy cropper, will be grown in an unheated polytunnel.

A friend has given me a few lipstick seeds but did tell me he just found them on his shed floor so I'm looking for some more or something similar.Already checked real seeds and they have sold out.

paintedlady

Re: sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 16:09 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
Already checked real seeds and they have sold out.

:shock: where have you been sourcing your seeds.  Wherever I go full racks of seeds beckon to me ...  :?

2 years ago I grew Californian Wonder (actually my first attempt so hardly an expert on the subject)  I thought it cropped fairly well outdoors and I was happy with the fruit.  They were alright in soups and stews, but I happen to like a crunchy sweet pepper which they were not - whether growing outdoors made a difference?

Last year I did not do so well with 2 other different varieties - sowed them too late and both were slow to grow because it was too cool.  Harvest was practically non-existent.  A polytunnel on the other hand might have been alright.

If you are using a polytunnel, why not harvest some seed from supermarket peppers and sow those as well for a trial?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumof4

sweet peppers
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 16:23 »
I'm going to save seeds this time round but don't want to pin my hope on supermaket peppers for my seed as I want to ensure i use an early type.

I didn't think it was a good idea to save seed from supermarket veg or has the advice changed again. I was thinking of increasing my garlic crop by buying a finest garlic from tesco.

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
sweet peppers
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 20:16 »
Try the one's on Real Seeds. I'm giving them a go, planted some already and they're doing fine on the window sill. They are supposed to be better for our cooler climate.
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

gobs

sweet peppers
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 20:56 »
Simpsons and simply vegetables offer a great choice, if you go for varieties from Eastern Europe I doubt you get disappointed in productivity. With a very few exceptions, possibly, as there is always one. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumof4

sweet peppers
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 21:10 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Simpsons and simply vegetables offer a great choice, if you go for varieties from Eastern Europe I doubt you get disappointed in productivity. With a very few exceptions, possibly, as there is always one. :lol:

Fab site I've ordered a load more beans and herbs as well as peppers and i'm just going to see what else they have. My husband is sat on the sofa rolling his eyes

many thanks for the info

gobs

sweet peppers
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 21:19 »
You are most welcome.  Just don't overspend now, you can't grow them all, you know. :wink:  :lol:

paintedlady

sweet peppers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
I didn't think it was a good idea to save seed from supermarket veg or has the advice changed again. I was thinking of increasing my garlic crop by buying a finest garlic from tesco.

Fruit from supermarkets have been shipped from around the world so a particular variety may struggle in our climate, but then again, we might have a heatwave and do okay.

The other reason is that you might be eating fruit produced from an F1 hybrid but the seed will grow and produce something different.  Or it may have been cross pollinated with something else, for example the cucurbits are notorious for this.

Finally, there is a (small) risk of transferring a disease to your plot.

Sometimes though, trying it out can be fun.  I have to confess that now and again I'll grow a supermarket variety I like along with proper seeds and have done okay.  I have grown garlic from supermarket (though this is more likely to be frowned on than using seed), and in the past they have done far better than the proper horticultural stuff :shock:

mumof4

sweet peppers
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:28 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"

I have grown garlic from supermarket (though this is more likely to be frowned on than using seed), and in the past they have done far better than the proper horticultural stuff :shock:

I might give it a go, try it pots so that if they do carry disease i won't spread it or on a different area of the plot.

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
sweet peppers

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 08:31
by gobs

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 32 queries.