This time last year!!

• 13 Replies

taytors

• Experienced Member
This time last year!!
« on: April 16, 2013, 20:16 »
Looking at last years diary on March 31st i sowed directly in the ground parsnip
carrots,beetroot and some radish.So with the ground appearing to be warming i
decided at the weekend to take the chance and sow the same again :) :)
Has anyone else taken the plunge or am i late or am i early? :) :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
Re: This time last year!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 20:24 »
im alot further south in the channel islands and i have all my potatoes in, onions done, all seeds on the go now to sort the soil and off i go too :D but even i'm a late behind down here.

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 20:32 »
Think everyone is behind so far :( Ive got taytors in and onions,broads and peas sown direct bout
month ago(no sign of anything yet)Having some good weather at moment,little bit of rain with bit of sun
so hopefully things should take off soon. :) :)

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 21:00 »
ive sown leeks, onions, carrots.beetroot under cloches and some signs of germination. ive also sown the same unprotected, nothing yet, parsnips in but not expected yet..turnips up from outdoor sowing.sprout seedling thro yesterday in modules in greenhouse

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 21:06 »
I have also sown leeks and onions under glass and these are about two inches high now.  I have also sown early peas and broad beans which are ready to go out in the soil now.  I have sown carrots, lettuce, radish, beetroot and parsnips under fleece. 

I have yet to plant potatoes but that is more because I have taken over a new plot very recently, so am preparing the soil.

I think I am about a month behind last year, although I was more guarded than many.  I didn't plant out my courgettes and squashes until May, unlike my neighbours last year who planted theirs out when it looked like spring was here - then the plants either died or were stunted by the cold weather.  I kept mine in 12 inch pots in the coldframe and was glad I did!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 21:09 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Manteiga

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 22:10 »
This is only my second year with a plot. This time last year i had been over-enthusiastic with the sowing, eager for a sunny summer and worried that the allotments had no water! Then came the frosts and rain, but we still had some decent crops. Hopefully, the frosts have kept my sowing to a sensible time of year and that this will be my best ever harvest (out of two admittedly).

Muddywaters

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 23:49 »
I'm in the North West. All my spuds & onions are in. Sowed carrot, leeks, beet root, lettuce radish under cover - nothing yet. Only thing germinating outside is spinach. Lots growing in the gh. Hope they don't get too big before weather warm enough to plant out. Temp is still very cool.
Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 19:32 »
I'm putting my spuds in at the weekend :), but nothing else so far.  May put some peas directly into the ground, but have started 2 trays off ;).  This time last year, I had 4 trays of onions, but only had about 4 come up :(, this year, same onions 4 trays, and they are bursting with loads of onions :tongue2: - hope its a good omen this year, last year, did zilch, nothing grew :(.
Babs

waxwing

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 20:18 »
It was a early season last year :).
 But remember how the year turned foul and most crops died (for me any way) >:(
As long as we have a half decent growing season I dont mind ;)
Steve

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 22:15 »
It has been a long winter for all of us most are a month behind with planting but nature has its owns rule
So not worrying everything will catch up.
John
A gardeners work is never done.

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 20:24 »
Had a look this evening and theres a few peas poking through :)
Seems things a moving at last :) :)

al78

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 22:45 »
I have sown carrots, brocolli, pak choi, perpetual spinach and potatoes outdoors over the last week or so. Nothing germinating yet. I did sow summer cabbage and kale in modules in the first week of April which germinated last week but half of them got ravaged by slugs when I put them outdoors under cover. I've sown some more kale and summer cabbage in modules earlier this week and have been having some success with beer traps so I'm remaining hopeful.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 23:00 »
Just checked my diary and this time last year part of the plot was flooded although all that had been planted were a lot further on than this year
I am still behind with planting this year the weather is partly to blame but I have just spent a week decorating
Happy gardening
John

Totty

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 23:09 »
Soil is warming up fast here now. Have three rows of peas that were direct sown outside, all up, broads are all out. Have summer cabbages, purple caulis and sprouts planted out. All onion sets, and potatoes are out. Have sown a couple of rows of beetroot and some parsnips outside. And anything that can take a bit of cold in the night is in the cold frame and is going out every day. Bananna shallots tomorrow.

Totty

xx
What is everybody doing at this time of year?

Started by adekun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 24, 2006, 17:28
by Ice
xx
This time last year

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 19:47
by scattygirl
xx
what to sow at this time of year?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
This time next year...

Started by Only1Dionne on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 16:29
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.