cage construction

• 4 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
cage construction
« on: August 16, 2011, 15:56 »
heya all

ive decided to make all my debs the same size and construct some caged for my netting so I can just lift them off to weed etc

by beds are either going to be

3 x 1.2

or

2.4 x 1.2 ( as most wood sold in 2.4 lenghs to makes senser

I would like to ask what height I should make the cages as im not sure really. I was thinking 1mtr to allow for my sprouts and brocolli

what do you guys think recommend?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: cage construction
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 17:05 »
Have done the same but find that when the plants get bigger the nets on the frames have to be removed and loose nets put on because leafs grow outside the beds and they get to tall. Most frames have round hops with the nets on these.
This year I made 2 frames with hops made from electricians 20mm plastic conduit 3m long with the corners bents using a spring. This made the frames square which helped but the sprouts and kale have already reach the top. I had covered this frame with a fine net to keep the white fly off.
Most plants would be OK under a 1m high frame but not brocolli, sprouts & kale

woodavon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 21:14 »
Thanks - I found this helpful too.  We were also planning to make standard size cage sides with netting but have found the wood very expensive.  Any ideas for sourcing cheaper lightweight timber for the frames?  The usual mega DIY store is a bit pricey!

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 21:31 »
I use rooftile batten for quite a few jobs if you have a buildbase near about 36p/metre also they have some broken bits in the skip of useable lengths quite often!
This is treated so lasts well
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35 »
We did this last year and the problems were that

a) I couldn't easily manage to lift the cages right off without the wood twisting and some screws tore out of the wood. Wedding became very difficult so I didn't do it as often as I should have done.

b) The debris netting I used for the PSB cage meant it did not stand up to the widn and blew off, damaging our apricot tree  :( >:(

c) It just wasn't tall enough for PSB and other big boys

So this year we have made a 'walk in tunnel' of three cheap metal arches, supported on the inside by deep wooden stakes. This is covered in debris netting, with a velcro entrance on one short side -- works a treat.

I shall swap the debris netting for lightweigh pigeon proof netting before the winter  as I don't think the frame will take the weight of a heavy snowfall.

Our PSB and sprouts are caterpillar free (still have whitefly of course  :lol: ) and chest high already. Dead proud of it so far  :D :D

PS Shorter stuff like cabbages I have under debris netting supported by blue water pipe and that is fine  :) I'll leave that on over winter as otherwise pigeons can weigh down the light netting by landing on it and guzzle the leaves throug the netting.  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
fruit cage construction

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 09:06
by RJR_38
xx
Bed Construction

Started by lordthanatos on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 21:34
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse Construction

Started by Big Stev3 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 12:47
by timn
xx
Useful construction link

Started by richyrich7 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 10:12
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.