' what can I do'

• 7 Replies

dakota

' what can I do'
« on: May 27, 2007, 19:05 »
I've had the chucks 5 days now,they really seem perky,and alert,but I'm a little concerned. Since the first day I bought them home,their droppings seem very loose,almost diarrhoea,they're eating and drinking ok and have I've said they seem very alert and stand erect,do you think its a change of   food or surroundings. Also I've got some Verm-X  solution,do you think I should worm them,or should the chucks be at a certain age before you do this,I was told by the farmer that they were 19week old. Please advise what is  best for me to do
                                        Best Wishes  Edward

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
' what can I do'
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 20:26 »
Hi Edward at a guess I'd go for new surroundings doing it, have you changed their food or are you feeding more greens than their used to ?
Not sure about verm-x what's it say on the bottle ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

dakota

' what can I do'
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 21:28 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hi Edward at a guess I'd go for new surroundings doing it, have you changed their food or are you feeding more greens than their used to ?
Not sure about verm-x what's it say on the bottle ?

Hi' richyrich7, thanks for your input,  I'm feeding them layer pellets early morning,and leaving it in the inner  run all day,and  a small amount of mixed corn late afternoon,this is the only feed they have had from me,I thought I'd withold veg-fruit etc untill later.
The Verm-X bottle only gives instructions on the dosage, I was wondering if their condition was worm related,and could it be given to chucks so young.As I'm a complete novice I was hoping someone had faced this problem,and could come up with some advice.  Thanks  Edward

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
' what can I do'
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 22:12 »
I think they should settle down Edward.  You could try giving them some bio-yoghurt mixed with some oat meal.  Good for their gut flora, and but some Apple cider vinegar in their water (available from horse feed stores).  

It would be fine to give then the verm-x now.  It is a herbal wormer and should be given every month.

dakota

' what can I do'
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:49 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I think they should settle down Edward.  You could try giving them some bio-yoghurt mixed with some oat meal.  Good for their gut flora, and but some Apple cider vinegar in their water (available from horse feed stores).  

It would be fine to give then the verm-x now.  It is a herbal wormer and should be given every month.

Hi'Aunt Sally  thanks for replying, I'll get some bio-yoghurt as you suggest,I'll try anything to prevent their condition getting any worse. With being new to keeping chucks I'm probably taking things more serious than they are,and as I've said previously,even this morning ,when I opened the pop hole they jumped down into the run ,theyr'e really perky.I gave them a dose of  verm-x as instructed in the required amount of water,they drank it all,so I've now refilled their drinker as normal,I intend doing this for the next 2 days. I'll keep you posted at a later date when I've given them the bio feed. thanks to all who have responded.  best wishes edward

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
' what can I do'
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 13:35 »
Your hens sound fine Edward.  Keep us posted  :D

lorraine46

Same problem
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 14:02 »
Hi Edward (new owner too)
Ours have been the same and seem to be settling down ... I asked around the village and a few people said it would just be change of accommodation and diet.
Loz

dakota

Re: Same problem
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 14:56 »
Quote from: "lorraine46"
Hi Edward (new owner too)
Ours have been the same and seem to be settling down ... I asked around the village and a few people said it would just be change of accommodation and diet.

Hi' Lorraine   Thanks for replying.  At 68 yrs I thought my new family anxiouse moments were in the past,but I just want to try and make sure things are right for them.  Good luck to you .
                                                 Best wishes   Edward

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.