Poultry Auctions

• 53 Replies

poppies

Re: Poultry Auctions
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29 »
Hi I sell my poultry locally and at salisbury we are not all out to rip people off,  any sub standard  birds I have ie colour not quite right I sell locally as garden hens,

but there are a lot of substandard birds put into salisbury, know what you are looking for and what it should look like, as someone has already said young cockerals are often put in as hens, or pol  with legs like treetrunks, or the trio which turns out to be an older cockbird with two younger one's - got caught out on that myself (buying not selling )

Foxy

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41 »
well most embarrassingly I was caught out, I have only once bought a bird in a auction, and it took me 5 months to realise that "Jenny" was actually a boy,by this time Jenny was around 8mths old!!! He is now rather a grand cochin cockerel now called "Biggins" even worse I didn't find out myself, a friend was curious why I had a cochin cockerel called Jenny!!! :unsure: :unsure: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I cant resist, off thread I know, but he is smashing, if a little camp! :D

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53 »
I've also been caught out-more than once ::)
      I came home witha lovely silkie, i settled her in a run, walked to the top of the garden and heard cock a doodle doo :ohmy:. My friends were with me and they fell about laughing :lol:
   Foxy, that Cochin is lovely and handsome :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

nzdunn

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 13:22 »
hes a gorgeous boy foxy  nickyx ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 13:30 »
THINK ABOUT EXBATTERY HENS JUST LOOK ON INTERNET

hmmmm a bit pushy dear for a first post?? Are you involved with any of these organisations?
Because I am, and would never, ever push anyone into taking on the responsiblity of ex batt hens without doing a lot of research first.  :)

i wouldnt advise ANYONE to get ex-batts unless they had done a fair bit of research into chickens and at least knew the basics about chickens as you are more likely to have health problems with them. you at least need to know your way around a chicken.

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 14:10 »
such a shame people seem so negative on here about people keeping battery hens :(

there are so many of them that need homes and any love is better than what they have had to deal with :(

I think we should be promoting them, not telling people not to bother :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 14:18 »
Actually people on here are very positive about rehoming Ex Batts as generally they are very passionate about making sure that all our poultry has the best lives possible. The reason that some who have been around for a while as cautious about recommending them is that they do need a bit more care and time than healthy, hybrid POL hens.

I have never had hens of any type but a lot of people come on here having put no thought into hens (of any type) before getting them and it end or at least begins in tears. It is great to see people like you who try and get information before they start. The reason we are more hesitent about ex Batts is that they have had such an awful life so far they just don't have the reserves to cope with a ropy start with an owner who doesn't really know what they are doing.

I have nothing but admiration for those who take on these poor animals and give them a wonderful retirement and one day hope to have the space to do the same.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

archiesgems

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 14:18 »
such a shame people seem so negative on here about people keeping battery hens :(

there are so many of them that need homes and any love is better than what they have had to deal with :(

I dont think anybodys saying not to bother with them, all chucks deserve the best upkeep including ex batt's what we are saying is to do alot of homework before buying, and if you are introducing them to existing birds, check if they are vaccinated and if so make sure its not with a live vaccine, remember that these birds may be vaccinated but they can also be carriers of certain nasties!

sorry kate we seemed to have posted at the same time x
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 14:20 by archiesgems »

lightyears

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 14:37 »
i would echo what the other say, i am keen to help some ex batts, but at the moment im just starting out and really dont have the know how yet. once ive got the knowledge on how the bird actully go about there lives i might consider helping some. I would find a good local supplier and get some well known breeds and learn from there. its to much to throw yourself right into the deepend.

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 14:52 »
we are buying 4 birds from our local breeder and having two Ex batts in desperate need of a home dropped off at roughly the same time - this means we can introduce them into the run together and hopefully they will all be friends! 

i am around for the next couple of weeks until Uni starts so i will be making sure they are all okay, plus a friend of mine has kept many ex-batts and she has said she will help me with any problems i have - shes dropping the birds off tomorrow so i can have a nice long chat with her about what to do and whats going on and stuff :) :)

matilda duck

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 15:14 »
Feeb why do you insist on putting a topic on asking for advice which we all give, and then do exactly what YOU want!!!

Of corse all your new feathered friends are not going to get on, they have come from different stock.  Ex-batt have no idea how to even be a chicken they will be picked on straight away!!!  Then making them worse than they already are?  I know I have 3 and they are hard work!
I hope for your sake it works out as from where i'm looking this isn't good :(

lightyears

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 15:21 »
matilida duck, i am already awaiting my ex batts are fighting my pure breeds topic. Some people will not or do not want to listen or learn. I may sound harsh but this seems the stark reality in this subject.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 15:23 »

Feebs you seem to have misunderstood what i said!
i have 6 ex-batts, and love them dearly. we started reading about keeping chickens over a year ago as i wanted to be as well prepared and informed as possible. dont get me wrong, there is nothing like keeping them to put you on a massive learning curve, but you need to have some basic knowledge about them. if you are going to keep chickens that will arrive weak and will probably need some help, you need to at least have some basic knowlage...i.e what the vent is! i would always promote ex-batts for people who have some knowlage of what the are actually doing

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 15:35 »
Please dont be funny with me :( i have put threads on here and totally changed my plans due to the replies i have been given :( :(

I dont understand what this is all about!  i have got such good advice from this forum but i dont get the spikey - Oh well if you havent done a DEGREE in keeping chickens how DARE you suggest you can have them :(

Perhaps the chickens will get bullied - perhaps dispite my efforts ALL my birds will be mistreated poor nasty creatures that have the worst existance ever

i am just trying to do right by the world and myself

The lady who is giving me the ex batts is going to come and spend a few hours with me and the birds, she is sure they can be intergrated quite sucessfully as all the birds will be introduced to the run together

Please dont assume i dont take advice because i dont think i have EVER given that impression actually  >:(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 15:40 »
"Please dont assume i dont take advice because i dont think i have EVER given that impression actually  >:("

If you took a while to re-read your posts you would see that is exactly how you are coming over to others and to me too.  Just saying it as I see it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 15:44 by Ice »
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
poultry auctions

Started by cornfed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 18:37
by cornfed
xx
poultry auctions

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 20:45
by joyfull
xx
Poultry Auctions?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 21:16
by mickwood
xx
Poultry Auctions - Hampshire

Started by geoff37 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 10:33
by geoff37

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 35 queries.