Poultry Auctions

• 53 Replies

Feeb

• Experienced Member
Re: Poultry Auctions
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 00:02 »
From what i understand, the Salisbury Livestock market is one of the biggest in the country, so i imagine there will be a wide selection avaliable

I am sure i will get good birds, i will watch them for a while and have a good look at their 'vents' hahah

thanks for the tips guys :) two more sleeps til chickens :) :)

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 06:21 »
Perhaps somebody will do to you what they done to me a few weeks back! and dump chickens on your door step!!! (well gate) (complete with brand new plastic cat carrier) :blink:

We ended up with two beautiful POL chooks a white Leghorn and a Cream Legbar for nothing  :blink: :blink: the leghorn is now laying a beautiful white egg every day! and the Legbars not far off I dont think!

Next door apparently got a wooden fruit press and the lady over the road got a couple of bags of clothes???????

Glad I got the chooks ..........

some very odd person around here

Good luck with the chooks though they are a lovely hobby I paid around £12-18 for the rest of my Hybrids (5) (they all lay every day) and we paid £12 each for my Rosecomb Bantams which were show stock so very reasonable (they are laying aswell now) bit overwelmed with eggs LOL  :D

:lol: Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00 »
Agree with Lucylou go the rare breed auction coming up not the livestock one. Be careful and bear in mind that what I have seen at salisbury are single young cockerels sold as pullets and trios of birds that are realy not quite what they seem! :blink:
Last rare breed auction i saw a number of ill birds, saying that there are always bargains to be had, download the catalogue and do research first. :)

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12 »
Sorry i am not waiting another age for my birds

Plus from what i have heard the birds sell for alot more at the rare breeds auction...  i think i will just head to the breeders :(  I was quite looking forward to that auction :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 10:20 »
Feeb, if the breeder is selling pure breeds at point of lay then that money quoted seems to be pretty normal from what I have seen. Also you can have a good look round their place to see how they care for their birds before parting with any money (unlike auctions). Ask them any questions regarding care as well. Lastly good luck with your new venture chicken keeping is wonderfull  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 10:49 »
The breeder is reccomended on here Wylye Farm or something

they sounded very nice on the phone and i might try and blag them into doing me 6 for 120 or something (are breeder hagglable)

anyhoo, i am going tomorrow to pick them up!!! Wooot!!!

garyd

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 11:06 »
THINK ABOUT EXBATTERY HENS JUST LOOK ON INTERNET

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 11:10 »
The breeder is reccomended on here Wylye Farm or something

they sounded very nice on the phone and i might try and blag them into doing me 6 for 120 or something (are breeder hagglable)

anyhoo, i am going tomorrow to pick them up!!! Wooot!!!

You could try - they can only say no  :lol:

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15 »
Gary why are you shouting at me  >:(

I cant travel to GET battery chickens which has proven a big issue for find some for me...

sorry if that offends you

Fi

archiesgems

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15 »
The thing is pure breeds do hold premium prices, i won't put on here how much i charge for mine but they can range from £20 right up to over a thousand, it all depends on the rarity of the bird or how difficult it is to breed and rear them.

as for hybrids grannie's are the best, good prices and i have never had any problems with health :)

but there are some breeders out there who charge extortionate amounts for pure breeds that are only worth a few pounds !

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19 »
But Feeb is in Wiltshire which is nowhere near grannies  :)

Vonnie

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 11:49 »
Feeb, like yourself I also live in Wiltshire, I actually live near Marlborough.  I bought my birds at POL from a puoltry guy in Devizes I can give you his details if you like.  They have been lovely hens for me and I would deffinatley go to him again, here is a pic of some of my girls.  He charges about £10 per bird for your standard layers.  Also he has helped me out on lots of occasions since I have had them, with advice and such like.  Much more personal than auctions.  I am happy to speak to you if you would like more info just let me know.
Vonnie
garden area.JPG

archiesgems

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 12:02 »
But Feeb is in Wiltshire which is nowhere near grannies  :)

I know that, i was just saying that grannies were good birds.  :blink:

RichardH

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03 »
Gary why are you shouting at me  >:(

I cant travel to GET battery chickens which has proven a big issue for find some for me...

sorry if that offends you

Fi
Feeb - I wouldn't get worried about that from Gary - looks like his first post, and maybe he just left the caps lock key on by accident.

Good luck in the chicken hunt!

Foxy

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 12:05 »
THINK ABOUT EXBATTERY HENS JUST LOOK ON INTERNET

hmmmm a bit pushy dear for a first post?? Are you involved with any of these organisations?
Because I am, and would never, ever push anyone into taking on the responsiblity of ex batt hens without doing a lot of research first.  :)

xx
poultry auctions

Started by cornfed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 18:37
by cornfed
xx
poultry auctions

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 20:45
by joyfull
xx
Poultry Auctions?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 21:16
by mickwood
xx
Poultry Auctions - Hampshire

Started by geoff37 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 10:33
by geoff37

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 39 queries.