Activated charcoal

• 6 Replies

biguns

Activated charcoal
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:27 »
Hi, i have a quantity of activated charoal, can anyone tell me if this  would be of use on the plot. I was thinking it may be of use to brighten the skins of Potatoes, any other suggestions would be welome. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:33 by JayG »
Huge onions get huge smiles

m1ckz

Re: Activated charcoal
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:56 »
Natural Fertilizer - Soil Sweetener

“While charcoal helps to clean the soil of pollutants, it also acts as a soil conditioner. It is used as a top dressing for gardens, bowling greens and lawns. Charcoal also acts as a substitute for lime in soil additives because of the potash content, and it can be a little cheaper than lime. It is used for potting and bedding compounds as a soil and mulch sweetener, and as a fertilizer and insecticide for roses. Some orchids seem to love it. One study showed that adding charcoal to the rooting medium of peas produced a marked increase in the weight of the pea plants and in nitrogen fixation by the plants as compared to controls. It is suggested that the benefits derived from charcoal are due to its adsorption of toxic metabolites that are often released by plant tissues, especially when the tissues are damaged. Charcoal is indispensable in rye grass seed production.
Here are some planting tips using charcoal chips. Start with a plastic liner in a tray. Add half an inch to an inch of gravel in the bottom for drainage. Next, sprinkle enough charcoal chips to cover the gravel layer. Charcoal will help keep bacteria at bay. Top this with potting soil and add your plants

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/natural_fertilizer
edited to clarify quote

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:09 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:11 »
m1ckz - for copyright reasons please post the actual source of the quote you have just posted (or preferably the link to it assuming it was found on a website.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:16 »
ok  ty

Kieronl

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40 »
I did see two beds one using Charcoal at Ryton Gardens (http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk) and I did not see much difference in growth, but it was only a quick look once. Maybe some one else had a chance to have a better look

biguns

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:08 »
Thanks for the info, i wll look forward to trying the charoal on the peas in partiular, also around the allotment in general,                                                                                                                                                  Dave           

mobilekat

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08 »
I have never gone and bought activated charcoal, but I have always thrown the used charcoal and ash from barbecues onto the garden (but only from lumpwood charcoal, not from 'reformed briquettes')

The plants that have had this at their roots are all doing well!

The only downside I had was a friends visiting dog found some 'fresh' charcoal that had meat juices on and ate it- very odd black 'sculptures' appeared in the garden the next day!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Charcoal ash

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 11:08
by gregmcalister
xx
charcoal ash - uses?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 23:22
by mushroom
xx
Charcoal finings.......soil conditioner?

Started by snudz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 09:19
by WG.
xx
adding charcoal dust to the soil

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 22:33
by Salmo

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.