Mountfield M1 Rotovator

• 28 Replies

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:34 »
Hi all, I managed to win this on eBay the other day and am going to pick it up tomorrow night!

It looks pretty good to me and apparently the sellers father has just finished doing it up and it is in excellent working order.

Just out of interest how much do people think I should have paid for it?!

Also, I normally see rotovators with a clutch lever on the left handle.  This only appears to have a throttle cable and adjustment on the right handle.  Is this a particuarly old model with a different way of engaging the drive?
The serial number is M1 / 16468 and I've been told that the last 2 digits represent the year (1968?).

Thanks

Ross

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
Re: Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 19:17 »
Any ideas guys?

Honeymonster

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 20:13 »
Hi,

Looks like it has been completely re-conditioned. Can't really offer any advice other than I purchased a Mountfield M1 last week after losing out on loads of machines. There is a picture on the post about a Mountfield M1 Tecumseh Aspera engine of the engine. It is very old, probably antique rather than classic, runs fine and I paid £75 for it. Gave it a service thanks to Gwiz's advice and hopefully she will run for another 40 years.

Mine only has a throttle with choke on the right handlebar.

Honeymonster

Honeymonster

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 20:16 »
Sorry, you push the handle in the middle down to engage and turn the tines. The belt is hidden in the red housing at the front. Not sure what the engine is, mine has a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41 »
Hi Rossco,
It really does look like new :)
As for how much? I've no idea. Some things can sell for a lot of money on ebay, and rotovators fall into the "can fetch silly money" category.
Go on, spill the beans, what did you pay? ;)

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00 »
Hi Rossco,
It really does look like new :)
As for how much? I've no idea. Some things can sell for a lot of money on ebay, and rotovators fall into the "can fetch silly money" category.
Go on, spill the beans, what did you pay? ;)

I paid the princely sum of £82!  Which I thought was excellent.

taterfork

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41 »
Do not forget to change the slashers over they are mounted backwards ::)

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:53 »
Oh yes, so they are! Just need to swap one side for the other I presume!

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:59 »
Without been a doom and gloom merchant, sometimes I consider a “nice paint job” as a cover up for really mechanical issues.

I would rather have an honest looking unit, that shows what it is rather than a “fur coat and no Knickers” type.

The fact that the simple error of rotors on the wrong way might raise alarm bells???

But apart from that looks a nice machine and not too much paid.

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:08 »
Without been a doom and gloom merchant, sometimes I consider a “nice paint job” as a cover up for really mechanical issues.

I would rather have an honest looking unit, that shows what it is rather than a “fur coat and no Knickers” type.

The fact that the simple error of rotors on the wrong way might raise alarm bells???

But apart from that looks a nice machine and not too much paid.

I agree - but it's cash on collection and I've asked him to start it for me and give it a once over so if it doesn't look any good I'll leave it  :D

Also, it has been advertised as in excellent running order so I would hope that it should be pretty good.  I'll find out later!

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 14:40 »
So, before I go off later and pick up this thing, what should I look out for when he fires it up?

Are there any tell tale signs of things not quite right that I can look out for?

Thanks

Ross

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 15:32 »
realy just like you would do for a car.

Make use he has not pre-warmed it, you need to see it started from cold.

Does it have all the fluid where it should, and right colour (and smell) and nothing leaking (to much)

Get it digging, and I mean some un-dug stuff.

ex-cavator

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 17:30 »
Similar to mine - I've posted elsewhere about it but basically I was fortunate enough to get mine free on Freecycle. Mine had been 95% mechanically refurbed & after 15 mins of tinkering with the carb I've got it running. From the info I have, I believe you're right about the serial number dating it to '68. Mine is '65, and a 6HP Tacumseh Aspero engine. I think yours may also be an Aspero, as I've heard these are identifiable by the white plastic fuel tank, although I could be wrong. Basically, as you'll find elsewhere on here, that's nothing to crow about as the Aspero's tend to put the con rod out through the crankcase as soon as look at them, but, if it's survived 42 years without doing so then hopefully it'll last a while longer - but just make sure you keep the oil topped up at all times. Pricewise, probably about right. Mountfields are basically good machines, but older ones will never fetch as much as the hugely popular Merry Tiller with it's first class parts availability. Good luck with it  ;)

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 20:56 »
Well, I have picked her up and she seems a goodun'!

You are right, it has the Tacumseh engine.  But the whole machine looks like it has had very very little use.  When I got there it was stone cold and I had to wait for the father of the seller (who had done it up) to come around.  A pump on the primer and 2 pulls and she was away, not a puff of smoke or anything!  The oils are topped up, couldn't see anything leaking.   The belts look good too.

I asked the story behind it and it belonged to the grandfather of his son-in-law who had recently died.  They were clearing his shed out and came across it - covered with a sheet in the back corner.  Said that no spares were required and that he literally stripped it, cleaned it up and painted it, then put it back together.  I pointed out that the tines were the wrong way round and he didn't know there was a right way!  basically he's a retired guy who likes little projects to work on.

I think for £80 it should be OK, I'll just keep my eye on those oils!  Just for future reference it has the following oils marked on the side to use:

ENGINE - CASTROLITE

GEARBOX - CASTROL HI PRESS

Any idea what the modern equivalents are or if you can still get them?

Thanks,

Rossco

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 08:42 »
I'm going to take the old girl for a workout today, I'll let you know how she performs!

xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator

Started by Glosterboy on Equipment Shed

41 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 19:14
by grendel
xx
Old Mountfield rotovator

Started by toastedcrumpet on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 17:08
by toastedcrumpet
xx
Mountfield Rotovator M1 Gardener

Started by matthew2riches on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 17:31
by matthew2riches
xx
Mountfield M1 Estate rotovator

Started by montygti on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 15:57
by jezza

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 32 queries.