poorly hen

• 5 Replies

morbidia

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« on: August 24, 2012, 21:29 »
One of my hens fell ill this week so I took her to the vets thay think that she has heart disease as her comb had a purple tinge to it and her abdomen was full of fluid, she also had a temperature. they drained the fliud and geve me meds to reduce the rest plus Baytril in case she has an infection. That was on wednesdey and I have been givingher the meds since then, she perked up initially but has gone downhill today, she won't eat or drink and when I was carrying her earlier I bent done to pick something up and accidentally tipped her up as I did this lots of liquid came out her beak, it was a yellowy brownish colour with bits of corn in it. I know she hasn't had any corn for a few days so it must have been sitting in her crop for a while. does anyone have any idea on what I can do and also whats the prognosis on keeping a hen going who has heart disease. I don't want to lose her but at the same time I don't want her to suffer either

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 22:14 »
Could she have sour or impacted crop?  It does sound as if she has some sort of crop blockage if she has corn still there after a few days.  There are different treatments for the 2 conditions so you would need to find out which it may be. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 22:22 »
I was thinking sour crop but I have seen it before and I am not sure if this is the same, its defintely not impacted because its too soft and now empty

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 23:23 »
I have read that you can use live fishing maggots to treat sour crop.  The maggots eat the rotten food and clear the blockage. 

yacks

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 14:11 »
I found that when my bird had anti biotics she then had sour crop ... The vet said as this condition is a yeast infection the anti biotics have caused an imbalance and to give live bio yogurt to  put back the good bacteria in crop. X

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10 »
Any update morbidia?

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
sad
poorly hen

Started by birdlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 14:43
by birdlady
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 16:10
by New shoot
xx
Poorly hen?

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 21, 2007, 19:09
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 38 queries.