Handling new birds

• 9 Replies

JJM

Handling new birds
« on: August 23, 2012, 15:00 »
I have recently bought 3 point of lay Hybrid hens. Ive had them 3 weeks now. One of them is very tame and inquisitive - following me around and running to greet me whenever I go up the garden. However the other two wont let me near them. They make a run for it whenever I get within a few feet. I dont want to stress them out by chasing them. I have tried tempting them with treats but it doesnt work
I am concerned that if I cant handle them I will not be able to check them out for parasites etc
Any advice ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Handling new birds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 15:05 »
if you can't handle them during the day don't fret and stress yourself and the birds out. All you have to do is wait until they have gone into their coop at night and lift them off their perch whilst they are sleepy to check them over  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 15:13 »
my black rock types are the same. Even after a year they dont even get close to take treats and they are so much quicker than the birds i've had before so chasing them isnt an option (phew)!.
I can steer them in the right direction  with the use of a board in one hand and a brush in the other (i know, just another excuse for the neighbours to think "eh up, she's off again) and i can steer them into the small pen where in theory with the help of my daughter we can catch them that way.

I find it much easier though to either wait until they go into the coop at night and lift them or wait until morning and get them as they come out 1 by 1(with the help of daughter who is never going to be allowed to leave home as long i have chickens :) As it isnt getting light so early in the mornings now, sometimes they are still in the "glazed over state" instead of wide awake and raring to go.

Once we have hold of them they are very docile and let us check them over and administer anything that we need to.

All of the other chickens i've had in the past have been easy to get hold of just not these ones

All good fun  ::)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 21:19 »
I got my first ladies 6 weeks ago and they where a bit scarde at first so i tryed hand feeding small amounts of corn it took a couple of goes and about hour of trying but now they go mad and let anybody stroke them.
Pull up a perch!!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:40 »
As you are finding they are all individuals. Also some breeds are more flighty than others. I have a legbar who jumps onto my shoulder every day and a hamburg who screams if I have to handle her, which I have to do at night or I would not get near her. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21 »
Train the hens to jump up on to suitable perch (handrail for me) to get their treats. When i stand by this handrail the hens all line up on it which puts the ones which do not like being handled in easy reach.

When you handle the hens do not rush it, take your time and hold them so they get to realise that being picked up is not such a bad thing and means they will always get a treat from your hand at the end.

If you have a really flighty hen a childs butterfly/ pond dipping net is the tool for catching them as is light , fast to move about and not likely to do any damage.
They will see the net as the threat not you which is useful for moving such hens back to where they should be, one sight of the net and they get the message.

Keep giving them the treats from the hand (such as a few grains of maize) and greed will soon conquer  fear.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25 »
Train the hens to jump up on to suitable perch (handrail for me) to get their treats. When i stand by this handrail the hens all line up on it which puts the ones which do not like being handled in easy reach.

When you handle the hens do not rush it, take your time and hold them so they get to realise that being picked up is not such a bad thing and means they will always get a treat from your hand at the end.

If you have a really flighty hen a childs butterfly/ pond dipping net is the tool for catching them as is light , fast to move about and not likely to do any damage.
They will see the net as the threat not you which is useful for moving such hens back to where they should be, one sight of the net and they get the message.

Keep giving them the treats from the hand (such as a few grains of maize) and greed will soon conquer  fear.

That is a great tip 8doubles, thanks for sharing it.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 20:19 »
I decided that I had to be able to get my hens into their run quickly if I needed to and my arthritis means I'm not able to chase them round. So I put some dried mealworms into an old tobacco tin. Every time I gave them a few as a treat I would shake the tin first. This guaranteed that they associated the tin rattling with having treats. Now if I want to get them from one place to another in the garden I just have to shake the tin and they come running/flapping from wherever they are. Simples!!  :)  All of mine are now handleable, but checking them at night when they're dopey is an excellent suggestion if you have nervous or flighty birds.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

cheekychick22

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 21:22 »
I've a Barmy silkie and she screams when I pick her up but then snuggles up and goes to sleep chickens are so weird I have two legbars that won't go to bed unless they have had a cuddle off me and a rub up the dogs and cat first so we all go to the coop together lol

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:01 »
I've a Barmy silkie and she screams when I pick her up but then snuggles up and goes to sleep chickens are so weird I have two legbars that won't go to bed unless they have had a cuddle off me and a rub up the dogs and cat first so we all go to the coop together lol

Definitely need a photo of that.   :D

xx
handling birds

Started by redreet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:13
by redreet
xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken
xx
handling equipment

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 21:39
by oborne27
xx
Handling Cockerels

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 08:58
by gsc

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 40 queries.