shredded paper

• 17 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
shredded paper
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:42 »
Hi all,

we have a paper shredder at work and whilst shredding some documents today I wondered if this paper would be any good in the compost heap?

any one have any ideas, its normal white computer paper 

Many thanks

Jools

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: shredded paper
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:50 »
Yep, it is good as a 'brown' material to put in the compost bin, if you were to just have 'green' materials like veg peelings and grass clippings then it wouldnt produce too good compost, you need 'brown' materials like shredded paper and card to equal it out, i think its best if its put into layers, 1 layer of green then 1 of brown etc.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

noshed

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:57 »
Jamie is right - it rots down lovely and what could be more secure than passing all your secrets through a worm? Keep in in shallow layers with the tea bags and apple peelings in between - a few comfrey leaves makes it rot down really quickly.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 13:11 »
Shredded paper traps air pockets really well, which is great for the health and efficiency of your compost heap.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 14:17 »
Jamie is right - it rots down lovely and what could be more secure than passing all your secrets through a worm? Keep in in shallow layers with the tea bags and apple peelings in between - a few comfrey leaves makes it rot down really quickly.

Used to have a girlfriend who did that (made me feel very insecure!)  :ohmy:  :(  :lol:

(Seriously, shredded paper is a great addition to the compost heap; it retains moisture well once wetted and is also easy to mix in with the other ingredients. Also something strangely satisfying about the thought of growing next year's vegetables in this year's bills/bank statements etc!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 16:23 »
just dont leave the office boy to do the shredding - he shredded envelopes with the little plastic windows, shredded out of date credit cards, shredded plastic dividers etc etc == not good to be picking it out of the compost heap a year later
R

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 16:55 »
Speaking of compost, I emptied some of my black dalek bin today and it was booootiful stuff. I used it on a slumped raised bed before bunging in some onions  :)

veggieman

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 21:51 »
Don't forget to get the man of the house to (ahem!) pee into the compost bin occasionally!
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 22:37 »
Keeping compost moist enough is essential, espcially in the daleks  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 22:42 »
My next door neighbour was telling me last year to never let the compost get damp, that it must  be bone dry at all times :ohmy: ::)

Anyway, i did as i was told by him because my dad believed him (my dad known for his gardening skills) and ended up with rubbish compost ::) :(

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 23:03 »
moisture level is more critical in my opinion than temperature. Wet is wrong but so is dry. Composting for the best results relies on worms and moisture is vital to them
R

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 00:24 »
I keep mine watered. I keep a leaky watering can especially  :D  I watered it today when I topped it up with spent courgette plants. I added some comfrey leaves too

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01 »
OMG Veggie man with 3 grandsons running about Id better not mention peeing in the compost!!!!!

Although my son did tell me that a friend of his and his dad keep a pee bucket in the shed to pee in to put on the tomatoes, not sure if it works but they seem to  think it does, the only thing was they then offered my son a ham and tomato sandwich, which he couldnt bring him self to eat as he knew what was in the tomato!

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 10:34 »
Pee in compost acts as an activator and it does work but then so does comfrey but both get added to my bins on the lotty.  "Lady water"  :D apparently is not as good as male pee but better than nothing I'd say  :) 

If you want to make the best compost .........  ;)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45 »
Pee in compost acts as an activator and it does work but then so does comfrey but both get added to my bins on the lotty.  "Lady water"  :D apparently is not as good as male pee but better than nothing I'd say  :) 

If you want to make the best compost .........  ;)

Which begs the questions, does "lady water" get better with age i.e. post-menopausal?  ;) ;) ;)  We must be good for something  :D

xx
Shredded paper

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 22:40
by peapod
xx
shredded paper

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2007, 10:32
by noshed
xx
shredded paper

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 16:11
by andtiggertoo
xx
Shredded Paper

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 10:25
by FIDDLERJON

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 29 queries.