Pricking out

• 7 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Pricking out
« on: April 22, 2009, 22:21 »
Ok stupid question time - when people talk about pricking out / thinning, do they discard the seedlings being removed?  I've been replanting mine elsewhere, where I havent destroyed them in the process.   :blush:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Pricking out
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 22:28 »
some seedlings don't mind having their roots disturbed and these would be fine for transplanting, but some others hate being disturbed so may not grow properly if at all.

carrots and parsnips are two which hate to be transplanted and so you would just discard any that you had thinned - they may continue to grow if replanted but the roots would be forked and maybe not very big.  Other seedlings like cabbages are fairly tollerant as long as you don't damage the stem or roots when you are pricking them out.

:)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 22:31 »
Pricking out is transferring tiny seedlings from their original pot/tray to pots or trays with enough space for growing on. Thinning is pulling plants out of a row sowed too thickly. You can use the thinnings rather than chuck them. Better to sow enough, than too many, then you don't have to thin.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 22:36 »
I often 'station sow' seeds in seed trays rather than broadcast them.  This means I can tell  the exact number of how many have germinated and therefore how many I will have when they've grown on a bit.  I still prick them out and transfer the strongest to individual pots.

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 23:08 »
What do reckon on beetroot do they mind being transplanted.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:23 »
"What do reckon on beetroot do they mind being transplanted."

I raise beetroot in seed trays, prick out to 3" plastic pots and plant out.  Seems to work OK. This year I'm going to try paper-pots alongside as a trail to see if they perform better.  Also Celeriac (that I have grown as per beetroot above in the past)

I sort of think that the round surface rooted vegetables are not so troubled by transplanting as the straight-down-taproot type, like Carrots and Parsnips.

But that's only my view.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:11 »
What do reckon on beetroot do they mind being transplanted.

Great question as I have just removed the plastic bottles protecting my early beetroot sowing at the plot.  I know have approximately 4 or 5 little beetroot plants at each point.  Shall I thin them and discard?  Shall I thin them and transplant to a gap in the middle?  Choices, choices!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:13 »
try both! Transplant some in some gaps and leave other gaps free. You'll find out what 'werks for you' for next year then
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Pricking out cauliflowers

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 10:08
by DD.
xx
Pricking out brassicas

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 22:07
by Eblana
xx
Pricking out an aubergine?

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:08
by JulesJ
xx
Pricking out and tap roots

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 08:36
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 38 queries.