Pricking out an aubergine?

• 5 Replies

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Pricking out an aubergine?
« on: March 08, 2009, 13:43 »
I only sowed 2 seeds as that's all I had, and one has come up in the heated propagator - it's about 0.5 cm tall, the leaves are still furled up and the head is bent over. What do I do now? Leave it in its cell-canister with lid on but off the heated propagator base? Prick out into separate pot and put on southfacing windowsill with foil-covered card behind? The ambient temperature in the house is around 17 deg, and I don't want to shock it, given my abysmal record with propagator growing so far.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pricking out an aubergine?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 14:08 »
IMO I'd leave it alone for 24hrs or so to see if the other one comes up...fingers crossed :) after that take the lid off for a few days.Then take off the heated base.  Then when it's got a bit greener and stronger prick it into it's own tiny pot to grow on....hopefully by then you will have two HA HA
Move them onto a bright windowsill....south with full sun might be a bit too strong/hot at this stage.....don't want to cook them ::) and yes the foil behind does help.
Good luck and we all have failures...... so don't get disheartened 8)

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 14:11 »
Thank you - that's perfect :)

I've just pricked out some snapdragons - they're so small and thin I'll be surprised if any of them survive, but I did my best. I was all fingers and thumbs with them - terribly shaky hands!

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 18:44 »
Sadly the solitary aubergine seems to have died before I could even consider taking the lid off. This is not looking good for my growing record this year. Wondering if I'll get anything at all to plant out.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39 »
You really need to take the lid off as soon as you see movement.  If you're worried about the cold, dry the lid and put it back on at night.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 18:08 »
Thanks - I'll do that. I think the issue could be dry soil, that I didn't wet it enough before sowing. I checked all the other canisters last night and they were bone-dry even though there was plenty of condensation on the lids, so I've given them all a drink. A lesson learned. A couple of the antirrhinums seem to be surviving in a pot without a lid but on the heated base.

xx
Pricking out

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 12:13
by peapod
xx
pricking out/potting on

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 22:18
by DD.
xx
Pricking out cauliflowers

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 10:08
by DD.
xx
pricking out brassicas

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2021, 10:42
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.