Can a duck hatch chicks?

• 4 Replies

Rubyroo

Can a duck hatch chicks?
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:53 »
Hi, I've been waiting for one of my hens to go broody so i could give her some eggs to sit on, to no avail (probably because 2 have not long been released from the sin bin, and it's made the others think twice)!!!. Now i've found one of my Aylesbury type ducks is broody and sitting in her house on a small clutch of unfertile eggs.

Question is... could she sit on some fertilised chicken eggs?

Is this a bad idea? Is her breed a 'good' broody? Are they good mothers? Would there be adoption issues?

Your thoughts and words from previous experience would be greatly recieved

Regards

Kayleigh
A mixed flock of 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and 14 fertile eggs under broodies (fingers crossed).

Sassy

Re: Can a duck hatch chicks?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35 »
Domestic ducks do raise their own chicks but usually because they often get bored chickens are used instead and make excellent mothers. I do not know about the other way round. However, all you stand to lose are some hens eggs. Should they hatch and she abandons them just ensure you have plans ready to raise them yourself. You can usually find the equipment you need, with a little imagination, around the house, shed and garage. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 15:04 »
None of the domestic breeds of duck are known to be good broodies but they do occasionally go broody and my duck was a great mum.

As said, all you have to lose is some hen eggs but the one word of caution i would offer is that Mummy Duck will take her offspring to water almost immediately and she will not get why they don't float! She needs access to water but you would need to make sure the chicks couldn't drown.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Rubyroo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 16:25 »
Thanks Kate,

Yes, i'm already thinking about the non-floating chicks  :unsure: ...i'm hoping my pied suffolk wants to get out of this miserable weather and sit again, but somehow i'm not sure she will go broody again in time. Think i might (be cruel) and should a chook go broody whilst Jemima is sitting on the eggs, stick them under said chook and get Jemima a couple of fertilised duck eggs. That way she can be left to do what comes naturally and be left in peace to be a mum.

Regards Kayleigh

p.s. what breed is the black duck in your pic? Looks beautiful. Seen some similar, with a beetle green sheen (same breed??) at a rescue farm and they were unsure of the breed.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 15:59 »
My black duck is Patrick and he is a Cayuga. That was when he was about 6 weeks old and he has grown into a handsome chap with the beetle green sheen you mention.

This hopefully shows the green a bit better.

question
How to tell when a duck egg is going to hatch

Started by Sienna Wheeler on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 17:48
by Sienna Wheeler
xx
How to hatch duck eggs

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 13:03
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
how long do duck eggs take to hatch

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 09:14
by spider
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 38 queries.