New chickens

• 4 Replies

Springlands

New chickens
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:40 »
Our Welsummer died of old age a couple of weeks ago and a few days later we got a call asking us if we would like some RIR's. So we now have one RIR bantam and a RIR cross (we think). One more RIR bantam to come but it was reluctant to be caught. They have all settled in well with our existing hens. The RIR bantam is such a beautiful colour especially when the sun shines on her feathers - we call her the road runner because she is so fast.  :)

Beano

Re: New chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:45 »
They sound really lovely but we  wont be able to tell 'till there's pictures ;)
You did well to get them settled with your other hens so soon. How many have you got now?
El.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:52 »
Hi Beano - we have four bantams (all different breeds and colours) two hens (one is over six years old now - she does not lay any eggs and is just a family pet) + three very noisy ducks. No pictures I am afraid - some day I will learn how to.  :)

We were really lucky that the new hens settled in so well - when we got our first lot of bantams there was a lot of vying for position.  :)

Beano

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08 »
I'm jealous  now, ducks as well!
I know what you mean about the pictures. I managed it once or twice but haven't a clue how (more luck than judgment).
We have three retirees also and one that lays. Another two layers on order for around May. I can almost guarantee there will be fights.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 15:49 »
The ducks are nice Beano but very noisy and very dirty at times but we would not be without them. The last chicken arrived this afternoon - she is really lovely and I think that she will fit in well.  :)

xx
Say hello to my chickens!

Started by Nicki85 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 12:56
by LittleRedHen
xx
chickens

Started by pedro29769 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 16:05
by ANHBUC
xx
Who said chickens don't fly?

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 20:39
by madcat
xx
how many chickens

Started by allotmenteer on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 13:26
by Elcie

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.