Bitter Aubergines

• 3 Replies

mumsflowerpot

Bitter Aubergines
« on: October 21, 2007, 19:19 »
I harvested the last couple, relatively small aubergines over the last few days and made a lovely aubergine and mozzerella bake with them.

Or so I thought, they were bitter and totally inedible! (and i'm never cooking with mozzarella cheese again as it takes ages to wash up!).

The aubergines were grown in the greenhouse, have I left the aubergines on the plant too long or is it just the time of year and they always go like that?

Anyone help?

Thanks
Chris

gobs

Bitter Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 19:24 »
If the previous ones were Ok ,you just left them too long, otherwise aubergine has a bitter principle, more present in some, than other varieties. Certain varieties and mature fruit needs standing in salt for a while, to get rid of it, before cooking.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sally A

Bitter Aubergines
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 19:33 »
Aubergines go more bitter when they lose their natural shine. I've got a couple of small ones that never got to the shine stage, they've just gone purple/creamy stripey.  I'll pick them, but taste them before I decide whether to use them or not.

mumsflowerpot

Bitter Aubergines
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 19:45 »
Thanks for that, I think i've left them on the plant too long as the earlier ones were ok, actually better than ok, they were the best tasting aubergines i've ever had; bias aside. (Moneymakers).

I took out the plants today, as although they have some flowers I guessed they would come to nothing now.

Chris.

xx
bitter cues

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 16:20
by KT
xx
Bitter cucumbers?

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:04
by mumofstig
question
Bitter Celery?

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 13:08
by operabunny
xx
bitter carrots??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:29
by pairofacres

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.