Calabrese question...

• 21 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Calabrese question...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 07:58 »
it looks like there's not much one can do to get rid of these blighters but ime not giving upon this  yet >:(

i suppose we need to understand the environment that they breed and survive in i know in the greenhouse it has a lot to do with air circulation because they seem to multiply if plants are packed to close together :unsure:

and once you get white fly infestation you have to get on top of it quickly i found  if i washed the white fly off with plant sprayer that had a bit of pressure with it and  without drowning the plants and kept doing this i eventually got rid of them  :happy:

but off-cause outside on the Lottie is  another thing so ime going to shop around to find out more how other people cope with these pest's and what they use as a deterrent so i can pass it on to others  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36 »
The whitefly that you get on tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse are a different kind to the ones you get on brassicas.
I find it easy to discourage the greenhouse ones by growing lots of marigolds inside.

The ones outside have a waxy coating which resists sprays of water, or pesticide................it's this coating that makes it difficult to clean the crops in the kitchen as well  >:(
Insecticidal soap (an organic spray) does work if used often enough, but the shop bought ones can be quite expensive.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:15 »
Provamel bug killer does get rid of them but it work out quite expensive to keep treating all brassicas. I have kept it of my cauli plants with it (I only have twelve) as I really can't bear the thought of curds with whitefly goo on them
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 20:57 »
Provamel bug killer does get rid of them but it work out quite expensive to keep treating all brassicas. I have kept it of my cauli plants with it (I only have twelve) as I really can't bear the thought of curds with whitefly goo on them

And you have to take note of what it says on the label for maximum number of applications per crop too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 20:40 »
I reckon we need a recipe book for washing machines KC!

Could be a new trend! Think of the recipes!

I feel another post coming on - will sleep on it...

;0)

I don't know about washing machines but I know you can cook in the dishwasher(no tablet though)& I think there was a book
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 21:04 by Yorkie »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27 »
I feel a 'Gurgle' coming on Snow...

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 12:48 »
I've definitely had salmon cooked in the dishwasher at a friend's house because she didn't have a big enough pan. Would it work with globe artichokes do you think? We can only ever get two in a pan at once but have a big family. They might end up tasting a bit salty though? I'll try and track down that book...

I don't know about washing machines but I know you can cook in the dishwasher(no tablet though)& I think there was a book

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 17:39 by Yorkie »
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

xx
calabrese question

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 17:38
by mushroom
xx
Calabrese Question

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 22:46
by Bombers
xx
Calabrese question

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 21:44
by JohnB47
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese? question

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 40 queries.