water

• 5 Replies

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
water
« on: April 03, 2008, 21:48 »
I have set up 2 IBC's on my plot (1000 litres each) to collect rainwater off the shed roof and be self sufficient if you like with water.  One of the guys on site says he does not like using rainwater as it creates a green mould layer on the soil due to the acidity of the water.  Any comments?

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

noshed

water
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 22:04 »
That tends to happen on seed trays I have found but not on the open ground. I don't think it does any harm anyway. Rainwater is slightly acidic.
Here endeth my entire knowledge of water butts.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Trillium

water
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 22:18 »
I notice a green mold layer on other people's gardens, but only because they don't hoe or work the soil much, nor amend. They also have very enclosed, airless gardens. I doubt it's anything to do with the type of water, considering rainwater is a bit softer than tap and these people are strictly tap users. In France they try to use nothing but rainwater and you don't see 'green' soil over there. Mind, they do hoe more often than most because that's the joy of gardening (in their books, not mine  :lol: ) I wouldn't worry about it - collect what you can and your plants will love you.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
water
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 22:33 »
thanks.  I use rain water for my greenhouse plants and some of the compost in there does go green but usually when weather is overcast and cool so they sit in water too long.  Doing my bit to try and conserve water at home on on the lottie.

Cawdor

vegmandan

Re: water
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 22:45 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
I have set up 2 IBC's on my plot (1000 litres each) to collect rainwater off the shed roof and be self sufficient if you like with water.  One of the guys on site says he does not like using rainwater as it creates a green mould layer on the soil due to the acidity of the water.  Any comments?

Cawdor

I can't understand the other guy on your site not liking rainwater.

What does he do when it rains ? put a big umbrella up over his plot ? :D

The reason that you might get a green film when using water from water butts is that when you leave the lid off the natural algae tends to bloom due to the sunlight.

It'll do now harm in any case.

If you keep the lid on and the light out then you'll have crystal clear water.

It's got to be better than tap water that's full of chlorine anyhow. :D

gobs

water
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 22:47 »
Collected, standing long rain water can be a problem for seedlings but green surface mould on soils is harmless, as Tril suggests it forms on undisturbed areas as a natural crust.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 35 queries.