Seed compost, Peat Vs Soil

• 6 Replies

Ropster

« on: April 03, 2008, 11:00 »
Hi anyone have a view on which sort of seed compost is better? Siol based of Peat based, I have used peat based untill now and things have germinated but it tends to sink into the pot, the soil based I have used isnt sinking, but no sign of seedlings yet

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03 »
it might depend on the seed. Some do better in soil based compo. I read that Medwyn Wotsit uses soil based seed compost for his prizewinning onions so that's what I did last year and this year and I think it must be because it holds on to moisture etc.  Some seeds require a lighter weight compost such as tiny seeds like basil etc.  Most seeds I think will be ok with a peat or peat substitute compost.  The seed packet will usually say what to sow in

purplebean

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36 »
I use peat free compost for everything and it all seems to germinate quite happily. My current seeds are in coir from a brick that you had to add water to (4 year old loved that)

Alex 98

Bespoke seed compost
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:44 »
I find J innes seed compost a bit too heavy (for the seed and in practical terms also!). :( So I mix up my own, some fine vermiculite, some J Innes and then some Westland seed compost, about a third of each. I've has really good results with this mix :tongue2:  p.s.the Westland Organic Veg compost is also an excellent product :D
Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 14:14 »
Theres only one way to find out. . . FIGHTTTTT  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

woodentop

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 15:04 »
I'll probably get told off but my seed compost is a cheapo home mix - one bag of multi compost mixed up with one bag of sharp sand in an old flip top bin. Everything seems to come up ok, no failures this year so far.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 18:49 »
Seedling roots prefer a lighter medium to start spreading their roots, be it in peat, sand, perlite, etc. Once they're a larger size, they can handle heavier soils because the roots are tougher and larger.
Potting mixes won't sink if you push it into the cell with your finger but not too hard. Once I put the transplant seedling into the pot/cell, I add a fair bit of mix, water, then top up a bit if needed. Once they go outside, they go into soil mix. By then the plant overall is tough enough to deal with any potential mold spores which is a killer to younger seedlings in soil mix.

xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert
exclamation
Peat in compost ?

Started by Matt31 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Peat-free compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 05:52
by Growster...

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.