plastic sheeting or weed membrane?

• 2 Replies

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:08 »
I've decided to cover the areas of the plot we've not cleared yet to keep them under control. But what is best? Porous weed membrane or just black plastic? I was thinking about planting some things such as squash through the membrane, so would membrane be better so that the rain gets through? We've used black plastic with good results, but weren't planting through that.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00 »
black plastic woven sheet mulch is good stuff and will last for years, or ever maybe.  You can get stuff called Tenax or Phormisol.  It lets rain through but excludes light so kills off surface weeds. It will kill off deep perennial weeds eventually and even old raspberry plants (much to my relief cos they're sods to have to dig out)  The cheap thin stuff is false economy and is just not robust enough for the plot. Solid plastic won't allow rain to permeate so the ground underneath would end up like concrete and it's harbours slugs.  The woven stuff is rough and slugs don't like it

You can get it off the internet from various sites, compare prices before ordering. Eg from SmithnJones or Alplas

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24 »
you're right compostqueen the cheap stuff is no good. I used it and after a month pyulled it back hoping to have killed of the grass abit before digging over and it was it there enjoying life under cover  :o On our site some use damp course membrane, seems that does the trick. I think the thin stuff is ok if you are going to mulch over its just that the light gets through. The only up side is it make the plot look tidy bit like chucking stuff in cupboards before visitors arrive :lol:  :lol:

xx
Plastic sheeting on beds, or not?

Started by Goneterseed on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 20:21
by Trikidiki
xx
Plastic Sheeting alternative

Started by NellyCB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:40
by Poolcue
xx
Plastic sheeting /Planting question

Started by jetwiz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 08:45
by compostqueen
xx
Black or clear plastic sheeting?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2022, 12:32
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 35 queries.