Hello, will first potato crop succeed?

• 4 Replies

bb_odiham

« on: April 02, 2008, 20:25 »
Excuse my excitement, but after many months, I've finally got my spuds in the ground:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bb_matt/2382739537/

I spent ages preparing a small patch for planting and followed loads of advise from this website / forum.

I'd just like to say thank you very much to those people who posted so much help.

Wish me luck!

Right, so judging by the photos, do you think I'll have any success?

Info:-

The main plot is about 4ft square.
It's sheltered from the wind, is reasonably sunny, on a raised bed which I think has been used as a vege garden for years.
The area I planted, up until Jan this year, had been weed ridden - completely overtaken by nettles etc.
I spent about 2 months on and off clearing the area and found the soil underneath to be incredibly rich with very little chalk.
This area had obviously been worked heavily before I had a go, as there's so much chalk in the ground in my garden, it's scary.

I spent about 3 hours planting about 40 chitted "home guard" spuds into 8 inch trenches, 14" apart. Each spud was about 12" apart.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is my first post, but I've known about the site for a few years - fantastic place for learning.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 20:46 »
a local good news
 best of luck with the spuds and welcom to the site

gobs

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 22:15 »
Hello odiham,  :)

As sods law of gardening would have it, the one you least bothered with will be best. 8)  :lol:

Will hugely depend on minute differences in position, wind effect thereof, planting time and stage of tuber, also variety. It can't be called a true compare, all those would need to be exactly the same and a load of other things, which I can't be thinking of right now. But it won't matter though, as they will grow and you'll love them. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 22:18 »
you should have pretty good success i would think but you may need some fleece to protect them if they come through and its still frosty
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

bb_odiham

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:37 »
Thanks.

It seems that Fleece is as cheap as chips then, so I may give that a try.
Looks like we're in for a few cold nights this weekend.

Now I'm going to research growing rocket and flat leaf parsley - two herbs I use a lot of and which cost a fortune to buy.

xx
potato crop

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2022, 22:17
by Snowboar
xx
Bad potato crop

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2021, 21:59
by muckyboots
xx
First ever potato crop

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 22:50
by Howard
xx
Disappointing potato crop.....

Started by pfitz13 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 12:06
by Lee G

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.