how many onions

• 16 Replies

mumof4

how many onions
« on: April 01, 2008, 16:42 »
Never grown onions before so need advice

sown spring onion in cells - when shall i move them

How many onions do most people grow, I have 100 centurion, 30 red barion and 40 shallots will this be enough. We are a family of 6 but the children are all young so i base my planting on a family of 4.

matron

how many onions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 17:39 »
We planted a similar amount of onions last year and I am just coming to the end of them now. We are a family of four adults. I sow spring onions in a trough and just leave them to grow - if close together pick them when young for small ones and the others will then grow bigger.  :)

Clampit

how many onions
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 19:14 »
I have planted nigh on 400 onion sets. I use at least one onion a day when cooking so it's worth it to me. I'm hoping these will last me through the year.

shaun

how many onions
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 19:21 »
and you always give some away to your family and friends
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mumof4

how many onions
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 19:37 »
By the sounds of things I better get some more.

a few of the wise men on my site told me not to bother with red baron just saying they don't get great crops is the case for all you guys

nobby

• Experienced Member
how many onions
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 19:39 »
onion is a verry good keper so it dosnt mater if you grow a coupel too menny
and they look grate strung up together

Clampit

how many onions
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 19:40 »
I am growing sturon again this year, had some smashing onions last year.

crowndale

how many onions
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 20:08 »
Work out how often you eat an onion, ie, one a day or two a day, three a week etc multiply to get an annual amount and then add on a few extras for 'just in case'.  I don't eat that many onions so shall be giving them away if they al grow!  I just like growing stuff!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

compostqueen

how many onions
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 20:31 »
I like Sturon too. Got good results with those. I'm still eating last year's shallots - right good keepers  :D

gobs

how many onions
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 20:36 »
I find it pointless to grow too many onions, even if I eat them as a salad, too. I grow about 140-180, for a small family.

The thing is, once spring warmth comes along, they will start to sprout, whatever variety and wherever you keep them, just nature of things.

Welsh onions and over-wintering onions are good to fix you up from spring till next harvest.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

how many onions
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 20:40 »
I got some of those tree onions given to me last year but not harvested them yet. I've been overwintering onions and they look ok but moley has spoiled me planting patterns  :evil:   I reckon a good oniony taste comes from chives. Got loads of them  :D

Nikkithefoot

how many onions
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 21:01 »
I grew about 50 sets last year and they barely lasted into December. This year I'm growing 200 sets (Sturon and Red Baron) There are five of us, one being a teenager and two being 5 and 7 with humungous appetites :D . Hope it will be enough
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

mumof4

how many onions
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 14:00 »
Just planted another 100 onions, sturon, so after a recount I now have 200 onions, 42 red baron and 53 shallots plus spring onions throughout the season (i hope) which if can harvest 80% of the crop i will be more than happy.

Thanks for the advice

humanrotivator

how many onions
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 15:20 »
I planted 300 sets last week turbo and stuttgart and i have also got some seed on the go in the greenhouse bedfordshire champion and also two different types of spanish onions that i brought back from my holidays.Ill be planting them outside in about two weeks.

gobs

how many onions
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 22:31 »
Quote from: "humanrotivator"
I planted 300 sets last week turbo and stuttgart and i have also got some seed on the go in the greenhouse bedfordshire champion and also two different types of spanish onions that i brought back from my holidays.Ill be planting them outside in about two weeks.

You do grow some other stuff too, do you? :wink:

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 35 queries.