blooming dog.

• 22 Replies

sharky

• Experienced Member
blooming dog.
« on: March 16, 2008, 13:38 »
Hello,

Some may have seen the post where I posted some pictures of my plot after I had planted my 80 odd onion sets and put up a fence to keep the dog off..

I looked out of the window this morning only to see my dog stranded on my veg plot, it seems like the only barrier it was to him was when he jumped over and it kept him in there,.  :roll:  :roll: Consequently he has walked over the soil and compacted it, in fact it seems like the only part he has walked over is the part I have planted, well i wouldn't expect anything else.

Question is, will the onions grow OK in the now compacted ground?
I don't know weather to completely dig them all up and re break the ground, though not sure if i have the motivation. How long does it usually take for them to start sprouting? I only planted them on Thursday. :(

Many thanks.

compostqueen

blooming dog.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 14:11 »
It's typical innit  :evil:   Moles and pigeons wreaked havoc with my newly planted sets.  I'd even set alternate red and brown ones so they looked pretty. They were all over the shop by the time the peskies had finished.

I don't think the dog will have compacted the ground that much so they should be fine. I wouldn't bother replanting them all

Pets seem predisposed to spoil our best laid plans  :D

bimbler

blooming dog.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 15:22 »
Dogs are a Joy most of the time.
  Picture the scene you are in the conservatory (the wifes out so you aren't exiled to the shed) the rain is beating on the glass the cd is playing quietly and you are pricking out your tomatoes into three inch pots the dogs are quiet and not knocking over compost, chasing each other or barking at imaginery invaders. the table is full so you put your tray on the floor each pot is filled with compost the toms are well planted (My Dad is of the opinion that thick is better than long so plant em deep boy) and I put it in the tray half full of water to soak turn around and do the next. obviously some of these plants are to be given away traded so I'm doing a couple of dozen of each type. it's nice a pleasant way to spend an evening then on about the tenth pot you notice the pots there, the compost is there the tom is missing and your westie bitch has a dirty muzzle. to add insult to injury she's watching the pot in your hand and licking her lips.
 Dogs are so cute right?
the wife says it's my fault for letting them eat tomatoes in the first place.
GOOD FOOD, GOOD WINE, GOOD COMPANY

sharky

• Experienced Member
blooming dog.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 15:44 »
I have decide to dig up all the sets and re break the soil, it would nag me otherwise, it has put me in a mood all day and probably the following days to come. :roll:

chrissie B

blooming dog.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 16:52 »
i too set up a fence to keep the dog off he cn be so willful at times , he jumped on some of my onions and snaped the tops off , was going  to dig them up but they have grown back and are ok now .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Clampit

blooming dog.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 17:27 »
I was bringing in some seedlings from my mini greenhouse a couple of weeks back to protect them from those high winds,I just put them inside the back door to take my boots off, in the 20 seconds or so that it took me to get my boots off the bleedin' dog had trampled all over them.
Two big paw prints in the leeks and the cauli's, sprouts and lettuce completely destroyed. I can't help but laugh at the fella though, a clumsier dog I have never met. :lol:

sharky

• Experienced Member
blooming dog.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 17:38 »
Dug them all up and have only lost about 5 out of the whole lot and I have some spares so none lost and lesson learned, bought some pegs to secure the bottom as well, guess what I'm doing tomorrow?!  :?

crowndale

blooming dog.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 17:50 »
Been away for the weekend.  come back to find that the b****y cats have eaten my sons hearing aid!  How to explain that to the hearing aid department on monday when I ring up for a new digital hearing aid!  (he wasn't wearing it coz he'd had an infection in his ear canal which was drying out).
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gobs

blooming dog.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 19:45 »
Quote from: "sharky"
Dug them all up and have only lost about 5 out of the whole lot and I have some spares so none lost and lesson learned, bought some pegs to secure the bottom as well, guess what I'm doing tomorrow?!  :?

Wasting your time?  :?  Such a little dog, too, won't compact soil on the one off. I would not be bothered that much. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

weeeed

beautiful dogs!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:52 »
My spaniel used to walk along at the back of me and very proudly dig everything up and bring it to me with a distinct swank to her body!!!! I donnot take her to the plot and needless to say I now only plant things in the garden when she is inside! :lol:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Oliveview

blooming dog.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 08:08 »
We have a pup, he is around 12 weeks old, he is a real devil.  We have a fence across the garden and as soon as we open the gate to go into the vag garden he is there, if we are lucky we can keep him on the patio side of the fence, if we are not careful he is through the gate as soon as it is open a couple of inches :shock:  The it is fun trying to get him back!! If we pet the other dog and tell her she is lovely Jumbo will come running back.  I´ve just got my veg in so don´t need Jumbo running amok amongst the rows.  Last night hubby was sitting on the sofa drinking his cup of tea, all of a sudden Jumbo launched himself at hubby, he ended up balanced on the arm that hubby was holding the cup, tea went everywhere I couldn´t move for laughing- it looked so funny.  Cats eating things..... our old cat ate the post once :D
Pamela

Jo-n-Neil

Re: beautiful dogs!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:25 »
Quote from: "weeeed"
My spaniel used to walk along at the back of me and very proudly dig everything up and bring it to me with a distinct swank to her body!!!! I donnot take her to the plot and needless to say I now only plant things in the garden when she is inside! :lol:  :lol:

It must be a spaniel thing. Neil once went along the garden putting bulbs in. Got to the end and there was Jack sat proudly next to a pile of freshly dug bulbs at the other end of the garden. Dogs eh.

tallulah

blooming dog.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 14:32 »
Our cat Casper loves nothing more than to measure his length on my seed trays, when the seedlings are about 2 inches.  Silly me, for putting them out in HIS room ie the conservatory!  He then waltzes around on all the surfaces from which he is banned, leaving muddy paw prints.  I'm about to get down to seed sowing today - am wondering how to banish him!

sharky

• Experienced Member
blooming dog.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 17:26 »
Finally managed to get them back in the ground today!
Feels better because I had lost my motivation after that little set back, much enthusiasm though now.  :tongue2:
Fence seems solid to me as well, tho i told doggy if he did it again, he's looking for new owners!  :twisted: :lol:

compostqueen

blooming dog.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 22:21 »
dogs are so funny aren't they. Me or OH would be reading the paper, next minute a Jack Russell would come crashing through it   :D  He once slurped the cream off my son's Irish coffee, ran up his legs, slurped the cream off and scarpered  :D

So naughty  :D

clip
All my rhubarb blooming

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2015, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Blooming Brussels

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 15:28
by beesrus
xx
Blooming typical!

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 21:46
by gobs
xx
Blooming rabbits

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 16:31
by green fingers

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.