Onion Seeds or Sets?

• 23 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Onion Seeds or Sets?
« on: January 09, 2014, 17:06 »
Wondering what people's preferences are regarding growing onions - do you do it from seed or from sets.  I've not grown onions before, but unless I'm missing something, growing from sets does not seem as interesting...?
I'm not sure I would find it enjoyable to plant a little onion that simply gets bigger, is it not more satisfying to grow from seed? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

barley

Re: Onion Seeds or Sets?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 17:19 »
tried both ways and definitely prefer sets

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 18:10 »
Shallots are great from seeds, if you fancy trying them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 18:21 »
Onions from seed, like leeks, are quite easy as long as you're not the impatient type. Heat-treated onion sets should be resistant to bolting, although I've managed to get both types to bolt if I don't treat them right.  ::)

Shallots from seeds only produce one bulb per seedling in the first year - a shallot set should (easy for me to say :lol:) produce 6-8 individual bulbs in only a little more space than each seed-grown one would take up.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 19:12 »
I'm growing from seed this year 'cos I missed the planting time for sets, and I think it's cheaper in terms of initial outlay at least.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 19:31 »
You haven't missed the planting time for onion or shallot sets  :dry:

diospyros

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 20:15 »
Quote from: mumofstig link=topic=111912.msg1271352#msg127 1352 date=1389295863
You haven't missed the planting time for onion or shallot sets  :dry:

I might have done, by the time I get round to doing it...  :dry: :dry:

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 20:22 »
But am I missing something about onion sets - it just seems strange and a little pointless.  Fruit tress grow lots of fruit, potatoes grow lots of potatoes, strawberry plants grow lots of strawberrys, garlic clove will grow a bulb, but onion sets grow nothing, just get bigger.  If the motivation behind onion sets is to get cheap onions, then may as well opt for seeds, which will be even cheaper and at least a bit more interesting.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 20:24 »
Onion sets seem to be the easier option for many  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 20:52 »
Hi Gardenshed.. If you want to do a few to a couple of hundred or so onions go to the pound shop and buy a packet of sets - best price and value for money. They have 300g packets with 100 sets in each. Plant from mid March - simples..

Or... you can get your seed, sow them in heated propagators or hot windowsill etc. Then grow them on either by potting on or leave in situ to get to 3mm / matchstick diameter thickness then plant out.. Careful the cat dosent knock them over or they dry out and die, or... or... or... all sorts of things can go wrong. To me it is far easier to do sets. In the past I always used to do sets but nowdays I do both because I love tinkering.. I also grow about 500-600 onions each year plus my shallots and pickling etc.. So I get a few packets of seeds and start them off Dec / Jan. Then I get a few packs of sets and start a pack off in modules for a quick getaway early crop and then more as a normal crop from mid March/April. The sets also go in about the same time.

Growing from seed is rewarding but from sets is sooo much easier.

I always grow a packet of winter onions to get me picking as green onions on 1st May every year as a little filler before the early sets are ready. This way my stored onions only have to last till 1st May which is the norm for me most years. Once I start eating the winter onions as green onions I just progress to the normal crop as  they just keep growing and getting bigger all the time. By the time they are all ready for pulling out I normally have about 400 left to store.

Oh BTW ... a seed or set still only gives one onion!!  :D  :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 21:47 »
There is a massive amount of choice when growing from seed. The choice when buying sets is much much more limited. Just grow from seed now, far less bolt.

Totty

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 21:53 »
sets are esay if you don't have much room at home for growing as they go straight in the ground.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 22:06 »
But am I missing something about onion sets - it just seems strange and a little pointless.  Fruit tress grow lots of fruit, potatoes grow lots of potatoes, strawberry plants grow lots of strawberrys, garlic clove will grow a bulb, but onion sets grow nothing, just get bigger.  If the motivation behind onion sets is to get cheap onions, then may as well opt for seeds, which will be even cheaper and at least a bit more interesting.
oh thank goodness.  I've always thought this too.  Maybe we garden for a different 'fix' gardenshed.  I just don't see the point of sets.  Am trying seeds this year, for fun.

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 09:15 »
First time growing onions, definately grow sets. Onions from seed are technically quite difficult. Sets are reliable unless you do something very silly.

Plant sets straight into the ground late March/ early April. Check for a few days that birds/mice have not pulled any up and replant them. Keep free of weeds. Harvest.

xx
onion sets or seeds

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post October 20, 2006, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion seeds versus sets

Started by Henwoman on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 17:00
by DD.
question
Advantages if any onion sets/seeds?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 11:18
by moam1

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 40 queries.