barking dogs!

• 28 Replies

orchardlady

Re: barking dogs!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 21:35 »
Barking dogs, mine bark. Screaming children, my neighbours children scream. I'm quite sure we have both irritated each other over the years but have both decided it's not worth falling out over.

We have to live next door to each other after all.

Whatever you do do not fall out with each other. Bake a cake and take it round or invite the neighbour ..with the dogs...around for tea. Get to know the dogs. They are Yorkies you say...terriers...can be noisy. They probably just want to see you. Talk calmly to the dogs while you are in your garden, even if they cannot see you they can hear you. Say things like. "Now then Patch and Pie it's only me you know theres no need to bark". If you say it with a friendly tone and the neighbour overhears you they surely cannot be offended and may well get the message.

Good luck.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 22:41 »
Do you have dogs? If not, and you seriously cannot take anymore, I know something that can help :)

...just trying to find it...I have many dog behaviour equipment sites ^^

http://www.primrose.co.uk/dog-barkbuster-bark-stopper-p-5562.html?cPath=24_119&RSPHPSESSID=u5humi4vfo69ovv0e2je2obge2

Its an ultrasonic device that emits a high pitched noise when a dog barks. Obviously you can't use this if you have a dog yourself as that may get a bit confusing for them.

The good thing is, this can be done subtley as humans cannot hear the noise :)

You can also use noise aversion, meaning you can make a loud noise whenever the next door dog barks (an airhorn, or special disks). May get annoying for others around you though :)

Or simply talk to the owners. :). I mean, I am all for the behavioural modification cos thats what I do but, Orchardlady has some good points :). Try that approach before trying mine...my advice is for if that fails ^^
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 23:39 »
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...... ???.........
all joking aside it must be awful living near problem dogs.  So often dogs don't bark when the owners are there so that they have no concept of how troublesome & noisy they are when they are out! can you record them?  or pop round to 'check' if there's a problem each time the noise is OTT to at least alert the owners as to when the unacceptable noise levels occur? the local council should take problem dog noise seriously if informed.... good luck.  It is so tricky to sort these things out without creating bad feeling but if the owners of the 'problem' won't take it seriously what can you do?   

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 06:34 »
Do you have dogs? If not, and you seriously cannot take anymore, I know something that can help :)

...just trying to find it...I have many dog behaviour equipment sites ^^

http://www.primrose.co.uk/dog-barkbuster-bark-stopper-p-5562.html?cPath=24_119&RSPHPSESSID=u5humi4vfo69ovv0e2je2obge2

Its an ultrasonic device that emits a high pitched noise when a dog barks.

There you are Mum, confirmation that the device we looked at does work. Might be worth a try then?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rachelr

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:17 »
Ok I have tried about everything to stop my gods barking (they dont bark all the time just when the neighbours are in their gardens or when we walk the small bichon). I MIGHT get one and put it in key places round the garden.

Mum if you get one i will trial it for ya lol

Mine arent too bad honest, annoying but not too bad. I used to live next door to some one who thought it was funny to continually plague me and my dogs with hers. She had absolutely no control over them. as our relationship got worse her behaviour and her dogs got worse. It got to the point we could not even go in our garden without her dogs going for us. I am therefore sugested as thingy said please talk to them try and get some sort of dialogue going. My hubby one day went riht up to the fence where they were barking like mad and shouted at them. They jumped back and hit a brick wall, the police arrive ten mins later. I am sooo glad we dont live there any more.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17 »
I am on the other side of the fence as it were.  :lol:

My dogs are livestock guarding dogs, and see us as their livestock. Anything out of the ordinary will get a bark (Poor Mrs Fox who trys to sneak home without being seen, and to no avail). But my neighbours complain about it to the point where the dogs cannot make ANY noise. ANY barking will get the neighbour to ring up threatining council action. And the sad thing is, often his dog starts it.

Its tiring for us who have to constantly be on guard for if the dogs bark, and tiring for the dogs who can't express their natural guarding instincts. I also want to know if there is a fox or a hawk about cos of the chicks.

They are alseep most of the day anyway. They don't even bark that much! Our neighbours just a &%£$@#

:(

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 11:42 »
i know how you feel Thingy, when we let our dogs out 1 bark and im calling them in due to him next door  >:(
zoe pattinson :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 11:58 »
living in a rural area I let my dogs bark as they are there to act as a deterrant. Also being giant breeds also puts unwanted travellers off from snooping around our yard, many a time I have seen them go running back to their transit tippers in fear  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 18:39 »
I know right. Once some theives came up over the back field and my female Pyrenean saw spotted them! Lets just say they turned around pretty quickly.

I don't understand because I had 7 cockerels at one point and hthe neighbour didn't complain about them :/

8doubles

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 08:39 »
If you watch the film `Keeping Mum` which was on telly a couple of days ago it gave a clue how to deal with barking dogs and  deaf owners. :)

You may have to dig a pond. :D

Ps you also need a sympathetic psycopathic parent.

evie2

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 11:31 »
I love that film :D we have barking neighbour dogs and 3 ponds ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

RichardA

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03 »
My garden is a long one and only vulnerable at far end. My neighbours have a lot of fairground equipment and are very sensitive about security issues, big lights, big dogs, big fences etc. Dogs are noisy but we dont really hear them. Two outcomes though - we have good security free of cost on that side and every dog noise is blamed on them. My lab only barks at hedgehogs which is part good part bad (not many around for some of the year and lots at this time).
Must be terrible to be stressed out by barking you can't control and I can see it would be wearying to have dogs that can't bark when they want to.
My son and DIL are both vets and say the market is full of devices to deter barking or to aid training to bark when needed but not otherwise. Owners though often show little interest, perhaps with heads in sand they dont hear them.
R

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 11:13 »
I have exactly the same problem, to be honest i reported them to the local council noise pollution. We only had a chain link fence and this dog was left outside all day come rain or shine and is aggresive. There is no excuse for it as i have 2 dogs which bark occasionally but when told to dry up they do, i think its called training, why have a dog and leave it outside constantly :mad: :mad:. They sent him an a letter notifying him of complaint and they dont say who made complaint.
He has now erected a fence and keeps the dog in the house more, i took legal advice and this process is what i was adviced as it stops any conflict with neighbours.
It was a massive problem in the summer but not so bad after complaint to council..

Hope this helps
Mickeyboy
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 20:09 »
Hi all, I am an owner of two Jack russells and they can be noisy when people walk past our lane.  I know that they want to protect us, but it can be embarrassing and I don't like it when they just bark for fun!  Anyway, my OH put some stones/ gravel in a bottle - like a small empty water bottle and now if they bark we give the bottle a short sharp shake and they stop instantly.  they hate the noise, especially the puppy and it stops them doing things we don't like.  We have also used it for jumping up at the door or the tv and I have to say it works if you are consistent for a week.  They seem to stop, then if they begin, repeat and you will hopefully find that it works quite quickly.  I don't think the dogs have to be your own - just make your bottle up and have it at the ready...  :tongue2:

xx
4 dogs, 4 horses

Started by white-blazes on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 18:59
by white-blazes
xx
my dogs have some thing to say..

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 20:17
by too many girls
xx
Dogs (don't you just love them)

Started by danfinn1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 20:53
by Trikidiki
xx
my dogs ears

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 19:55
by Growster...

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.