Chooks pulling newspaper out of their house

• 7 Replies

patsyg323

Chooks pulling newspaper out of their house
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:42 »
Hi

I've had my four new chooks for 4 weeks and they are now about 25 weeks and starting to lay some lovely eggs.   However, in the last few days they have started to pull the newspaper out from under their perches during the day.  They stand at the top of the ladder and just pull the newspaper through the pop hole.  I think they may be eating some too.    Any clues as to why they nare doing this, please?  and is it harmful to them?

They have layers mash in a metal lidded feeder and layers pellets in a plastic container, clean water and mixed grit and oystershell in other container.  Their 11ft x 5ft covered run has lots of leaves in it and they love scratching around in it.

My previous chooks didn't mess with the newspaper.

Any ideas why they have developed this habit, please?  Many thanks

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Re: Chooks pulling newspaper out of their house
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 13:55 »
Chickens are very inquisitive and will peck and try to eat lots of random things, unless they are devouring masses of paper I would doubt its doing them any harm. Chickens pull at the paper and move it about as they would with more natural products like straw, sometimes they move it about in play, sometimes to make a new nest area and sometimes to practice their worm eating techniques! Naughty birds ha ha! If you are concerned with the amount they are munching just try swapping the paper for a different bedding material like straw and see if the behaviour stops?
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 14:14 »
yes i use news paper and somtimes they will rip it to pieces and other times they just leave it alone . i think they are just playing about really

Deak

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 15:28 »
They are probably disgusted with the Media hacking and invading everyones privacy, or they might have seen an article they thought was not suitable!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:39 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

funkychook

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 16:07 »
They are probably discusted with the Media hacking and invading everyones privacy, or they might have seen an article they thought was not suitable!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

He he i thought that lol. Perhaps they only read the Daily Mail or want to read Poultry Times lol...

I think they are making their nest comfortable and perhaps they just dont like the newspaper under them. Daft birds.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 16:55 »
Yep mine did the same thing they started to eat it and any other tissue or kitchen roll that they could find including being stolen from my pockets!So had to remove it in the end!!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:12 »
Probably read that modern des res chx houses should have warmer and more absorbant litter like softwood shavings and they were trying to give you the message,  Can't say I blame them.
HF
Truth through science.

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 00:16 »
I think, if like ours, they just do not like to have their housing looking neat and tidy.  Ours like to re-arrange the newapaper, wood chippings, straw etc  .

A bit like us girls re-arranging the furniture maybe  :mellow:

xx
Thinking of buying a chicken house? Chooks roosting in the nest box - update

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 20:18
by staffschicks
xx
Newspaper eating!!!

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 17:05
by bantam novice
xx
Feather Pulling

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 09:42
by Debz
question
Why is my hen pulling out her own feathers?

Started by BustersMum on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 06:05
by BustersMum

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 31 queries.