Ready for the Hens but which ones ?

• 2 Replies

longbow

Ready for the Hens but which ones ?
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:33 »
We are just about ready to get three laying hens but which ones ? So far, no 2 web sites, books or articles advise the same breed. Would you lovelly people out there suggest your top 3. Main priorities being laying ability & friendly. Then perhaps apattern might startto emerge. Thanks.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Ready for the Hens but which ones ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:52 »
Welcome, Longbow,
I have  a variety of hybrids, who are all friendly, but some folk will come along and give more info, I am sure.
Hybrids are definitely easier for beginners and are good egg layers - they were developed to be egg-laying machines, poor things, but all of mine are very happy with their lot.
Good luck.
cathangirl

shiatsusu

Re: Ready for the Hens but which ones ?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57 »
We've got hybrids too and they are all super, the rhode island x lays almost every day, no fuss, eats well, is happy etc etc, our cuckoo maran has great personality and spends most of her life tucked under one or other of the children's arms as does the light sussex so both those great family pets. Our bluebelle has just come into lay and performs with no nonsense... still waiting for our columbine to start with her blue eggs but she is lovely too- would recommend all of them from personal experience. Kept Rhodies before years ago and they were very easy all round girls. Good luck! You'll probably be very happy with whatever you choose as having chooks is such a wonderful experience  ;)

xx
I'm nearly ready to buy some hens...

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 22:12
by Chookaholic
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.