What has killed my plants?

• 7 Replies

squeeks

What has killed my plants?
« on: April 19, 2017, 21:07 »
I've lost two bed in just over 36 hours and I am trying to work out what on earth went wrong before I replant.

One bed contained three kiwi plants - different varieties that I've had for 2 years. The neighbouring bed had seeding tomatoes, basil and marigolds that had been in for two weeks having been grown under glass.

The tomatoes and basil appear to have just gone, the marigolds look more like crispy fried seaweed and all the kiwi's leaves have lost their colour and have gone limp and will probably drop in the next day or so. I believe they were all bright green and happy yesterday morning when I did the watering, this evening everything is devastated.

Any ideas what can do this? - fungus, over watering, herbicide? And are there any test I can do to verify?
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 21:26 by squeeks »

victoria park

Re: What has killed my plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 21:15 »
Given the plants involved, it sounds like a night temperature thing.

squeeks

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 21:28 »
Perhaps, but the kiwi's had survived winter.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 21:41 »
Most certainly frost. We had the first proper frost in several weeks last night. Blackened any potatoes showing and frazzled some runners that had been hopefully planted.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 22:28 »
Frost for the tomatoes & Basil for sure as for the kiwi was it sunny when you watered & did you water the leaves? If so the sun will have scorched them if it was hot enough. You might find the kiwi will regrow, I assume it didn't have leaves over the winter & they were new leaves, so very tender
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 22:30 »
Have you put any compost on the beds from a recycling plant ? Last year a few people used it from a local centre and had all sorts of problems. They were giving it away free to anyone that came to collect it . I'm not sure it was treated and could have had all sorts of chemicals in it such as weedkiller etc.

squeeks

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 22:59 »
Wood chip on the kiwi's was new-ish (3 weeks+ or so ago). The tomatoe bed did have compost from the allotment added, which may have been of dubious quality as some of it was from before my time.

It is the speed at which everything went which took my by surprise - and it only seemed to affect two small beds near the middle of the plot, so yes probably frost/ cold related as others have said. The lemon balm in a pot less that 10 feet away, but in a slightly more sheltered spot was unaffected for example and the strawberries on the other side in a more exposed spot seem to be as happy as ever along with other seedlings like radishes

The council in our area use a lot of lime for the compost they make, so that can be an issue.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 18:07 »
In my experience lemon balm is almost impossible to kill  ::) -  strawberries and radishes are also both frost hardy.

Agree with those suggesting your plants have been hit by frost - you can't rule out problems with the compost too, but under the circumstances it's pretty unlikely.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
I think I killed them!!

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 18:02
by BestBreast
xx
Have I killed my plum

Started by st0ne5ish on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 12:57
by st0ne5ish
xx
i killed my seedlings

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 09:17
by Sadgit
xx
how do i tell if the frost has killed them off???

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:54
by Dan78

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.