onions from seed?

• 7 Replies

jambop

onions from seed?
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:59 »
Just thought I would share this thought with you all. I went to the local market this morning to buy some Trebons onions, they are a local delicacy onion and very valuable in the garden due to their versatility. Anyway they had sold out but I did buy some round onion plants photo attached I hope. This bunch of 50 cost me €3 or about £2.50 I do not know the variety but the are a good keeper for me at least why would I bother raising seed when I can get these, other than for the challenge :) Next week I will get the Trebons they are great again same price for 50... although you always get nearer sixty!

DSCN1608 (768x1024).jpg
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:05 by jambop »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: onions from seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 13:39 »
They look good  :)

we can buy them like that over here, but they're expensive  ::)

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 16:33 »
To be fair Mum they are not F1's or anything like that just a good honest onion which the nurseries know will do well down here. They sell thousands of them every year... the real star onion is the Trebons onion it is absolutely superb so sweet and you can eat them as salad onions then grow on to a full sized onion to ripen off for storing and if you want leave a dozen in the ground over winter to get absolutely lovely sweet spring onions five or so from every original onion. There were 62 onions in that bunch by the way and they are in the ground only a few hours after the were taken out of the nursery bed... get the Trebons next week!

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 18:38 »
Was looking on utube, this guy has an aluminum takeaway tub, and he had about 70 onions in it, he was saying its better to grow from seed because sets are already 1 year old and bolt too easily, I was a bit too late, already bought my sets.. but I will definitely try his method next time, pack of seeds for 99p and no so easy to bolt? sound good 
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 19:21 »
My first time with onions from seed this year. Have to say that compared to sets I'm finding it a bit of a faff - have to see how what the end results are though. I'm "no-faff' inclined really...  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

jambop

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:24 »
Only my opinion but I think onions from seed are a far superior product than from sets... the problem for most is getting a decent transplant from seed in time for planting out. I have always bought my transplants from the market because they are cheap and reliable... problem is you have no choice of variety. I don't care though because what they sell is good honest stuff and at £2.50 for 60 plants great value!

Dopey113

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:55 »
Have a look at this video... he make it look so easy, thats why I will give it a go  :D
4y217FCy54Uindex=6&list=FLBtEe0GaOQFxU_tbTzq-_Uw

Audy70

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 16:41 »
Thanks for the video Dopey, I'll be trying this next year. This year I sowed individual seeds in modules but this method seems so much better.

xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:42
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 40 queries.