Storing and sorting packets of seeds.

• 2 Replies

Gill and Bry

Storing and sorting packets of seeds.
« on: January 13, 2020, 09:45 »
After a couple of seasons, I think I finally have this nailed.

At the start of the sowing season I had the problem of which seed to star and when. I know the information is on the packet but, each time we have to read the packet, sow the seeds and then put the packet back into the storage tin. Then go through the same procedure a week or two later.

So, to overcome this I obtained a small wooden box and divided it into partitions large enough to hold the seed packets. I then labelled the partitions January week 1, 2 , 3 and 4, February week 1, 2, 3, 4, March 1, 2, 3, and 4 and so on. I can now put the packet of seeds at the appropriate start point eg. January week 4. This way I know which seeds to sow and when and any seeds like carrots can be moved forward a couple of weeks to continue planting for a follow on crop. It works for me!
Gill and Bryan.

rowlandwells

Re: Storing and sorting packets of seeds.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 18:27 »
that sound like a good idea we use basically the same method I got the idea from my wife who was a postie they sorted the letters into pigeon holes with the names of the streets so I put my seed packets  in the pigeon holes marked with the month and a clipboard with that monthly info

then my seed supplier sent us a monthly plan [spread sheet] but I found my pigeon box and clip board a better option

snowdrops

Re: Storing and sorting packets of seeds.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 19:30 »
I used to just do mthe monthly division,but found it didn’t work completely well, so changed to bagging up each variety but that hasn’t worked for me so was going to go back to the month but I will add the weeks in too, thank you. Bit more initial sorting I think but can see it might help me in the long run as I’m not good at successional sowing.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
sorting seeds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2021, 12:03
by Goosegirl
xx
Numbers of seeds in packets

Started by dawninspain on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 07:54
by legendaryone
xx
Go on then COUNT YOUR PACKETS OF VEG SEEDS!

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 19:28
by yummy
xx
Storing Seeds

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 06:41
by celjaci

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 41 queries.