irrigation system

• 6 Replies

jambop

irrigation system
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:41 »
Hi I am looking to set up some sort of irrigation system so I can program it to come on in the evening when it is cool and water my veg plot for a set time then switch itself off. I have seen that Gardena do a type that drips water from a tube that has drippers every 33cm which deliver a max of 4L per hour per dripper. I thought this may be a good system as it is on the surface and does not spray water over the foliage of the plants, just gets the water where it is needed. Has anybody got any advice on this method ? Another system I saw what a porous hose which is laid on the soil and held with clips. Any advice would be welcome .

cressrt

Re: irrigation system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:20 »
I have used this method for many years on our finca in Tenerife, we bought the bits separately to give flexibility. The drip feed is best for our orchard, I do use the spray method for crops as well. Over here we bought all bits from Leroy Merlin. The main issue I have found is failing timers, so last for a few years, other models only a year or so, obviously batteries fail periodically, so you need to check on them.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05 »
It very much depends on how much space you want to cover, and what you need to water tbh.  I put in an irrigation system years ago, and wouldn't want to be without it now.  :)

For larger areas, there are all sorts of soaker hoses/drip lines (of varying diameters) available, and whilst a kit is a good starting point, it's worth checking to see how much it would cost to extend it if you need to. 

I have a combination of 4mm drip line and irrigation fittings running from a main supply line (13mm) which is laid around my garden. I bought from https://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/watering-kits.html last year, and they do a good range of kits, timers and irrigation equipment in general.  I will say that I've used several irrigation timers over the years, and have found the Hozelock make to be the best so far in terms of quality and reliability.

It may be worth first drawing a quick plan of the area to be watered, and then working out what kind of fittings you will need.

AM :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

moreteavicar

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:02 »
I am planning/considering the use of automated watering. It will be for six raised beds and a poly-tunnel.
What are the pros/cons of soakers and drippers - if indeed there are any?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:07 »
Individual drippers are useful if you want to water an individual item (i.e. something in a pot), or control the amount of water delivered to a plant (some may need more than others, and there is a good choice of adjustable drippers where you can control the flow of water).

If you're watering a small bed, it's easier to use a drip line (the pipe contains regularly spaced outlets to release a fairly consistent amount of water), as it's easier to move around and cheaper/less hassle than individual drippers.  It's also cheap/easy to install a valve which will let you control the flow to the drip line for the bed so you can turn it on/off (as required) and adjust the flow so you don't over-water the bed (which can be a problem with soaker hoses).

If you run a main supply line to the areas you need to water (mine's 13mm), and then calculate the number of fixings you need (elbow joints, t-pieces, shut off valves etc.), it's easy enough to attach individual drippers or drip line (mine's 4mm) as required. 

AM :-)

jezza

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 20:02 »
hello try hoselock they do all the drippers and automatic timers the AC1 has start time length of time 7mims to 30mins length of time between watering periods  jezza
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 20:07 by jezza »

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 19:35 »
Eventually settled on some Rainbird irrigation piping with emitters already incorporated every 33cm for my long row gardening, each emitter delivers 2.3L per hour and have some adjustable small radius sprayers for the raised beds. The Rainbird control unit is quite comprehensive and allows up to 6 on /offs per 24h and is seasonally adjustable to deliver a percentage of the normal watering time plus a rain sensor so when summer does come I hope I will be covered.

clip
home made drip irrigation system

Started by grendel on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 12:24
by sowitgrowit
xx
Wilko Micro Irrigation System 71pc - any good

Started by little sweetpeas on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 11:52
by noshed
clip
Solar panel timed drip irrigation system

Started by Allotmentman on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2019, 15:48
by Mr Dog
xx
Irrigation

Started by Basil Fawlty on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2006, 12:38
by Ian_P

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 46 queries.