Composting toilet

• 5 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Composting toilet
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:13 »
Does anyone have any experience / advice about composting toilets? We're thinking about the possibility of getting one for our site and are trying to weigh up the pros and cons. They are generally pretty expensive it seems and would need a certain amount of care and attention I would imagine.
Pip pip,

Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Composting toilet
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 19:19 »
Ahoy Balders!

We have a toilet in a shed on stilts. Essentially a long drop. Been open for business since 2011 and hasn't needed emptying yet. Photos of construction here: http://www.agaa.org.uk/photos/album?album_id=6688525

We did have to get planning for it, took a while but we got it eventually. If you have any specific questions, let me know and  I can ask others who were around then.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 21:36 »
Thanks Surbie...

One of the better looking long-drops that I've come across... "open for business since 2011" you say...   :lol:
Does it take much 'looking after' - I can imagine that being the young(ish) male committee member who 'does' hammerring/fixing type things I might get that particular short-straw...
I suspect that a long-drop wouldn't be sufficient for us as our site is basically a fenced off field in betwixt housing - probably not enough distance / privacy.

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:24 »
Our maintenance involves a yearly paint and checking the stairs are still stable/not getting slippy. The loo itself is cleaned regularly. Men are asked to sit, but recently someone hasn't been and it's started to smell. Normally it doesn't smell at all. The sawdust chucked down after covers it up and and it rots down quickly.

There are various enclosed ones you can buy, but they are v expensive.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 18:30 »
We have had one for two years now up the allotments.  It was custom built locally and looks like a large shed.  There is a male urinal, a female wee toilet and a poo toilet with a lid that keeps smells in and flies out.  Hasnt needed emptying yet and does not smell.  We keep a bucket of water in the shed to rinse the wee down, which defuses into the ground via a long leaky pipe.  And a bin of sawdust for the poo to keep it dry.  Fantastic purchase, but we did get funded for it so we didn't have to come up with the initial cost.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 21:08 »
Not a composting toilet, but for the last 2 years,our parish council has organised a portaloo on our site with an added cost to our rent of £7/9 per allotment holder,I think it gets emptied,cleaned out once a month. We were asked what we thought about it & they went with the majority that they wanted a toilet on site. Mind you it's only there in the summer months April to October I think so we just cross our legs for the winter 😀
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Compostable toilet

Started by tully on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 14:50
by tully
xx
Composting in the greenhouse

Started by jrko on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 17:53
by Veg Plot 1B
question
Composting - shredded laurel stems/leaves

Started by mikem on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:43
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.