So what do I need to collect for next season...

• 19 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
So what do I need to collect for next season...
« on: November 03, 2013, 19:16 »
I have had my plot for two months now and am slowly clearing the plot.  8)

"People" keep telling me I need to save stuff to help my plot be successful.

So I am currently saving the following items

• toilet roll inserts - for my little seedling to grow in
  • lemonade and coke bottles - for cloches
  • lolly-pop sticks - for plant labels
  • yogurt pots - for plant pots

Now here is the tricky bit...what more do I need

• someone said I needed egg trays - collected but what do I need them for 

I need to make my allotment plot work as cheaply as possible, all ideas welcome  :)

[/list]

snowdrops

Re: So what do I need to collect for next season...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 19:21 »
Egg trays probably for chitting the seed potatoes in or seed trays.
You could save plastic milk bottles for cutting in to plastic labels & filling with water to weight down netting/membrane. Cardboard for covering beds/compost bins.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

yaxley

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 20:28 »
Manure to  start the compost heap off and seed trays to get the seedlings started in cheaper to buy them this time of year rather than in spring or even better look on freecycle and see if you can find seed trays and pots on there for free ....
Grow organic as nature intended

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 20:33 »
Old stockings or tights snipped into 25mm lengths are great for tomato plant ties.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 20:40 »
The small clear plastic desert pots are good to use as mini propagator lids for small batches of seeds , if you grow 6 varieties of tomato they will germinate at different times and separate pots will make life easier. :)

grendel

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:07 »
collect the leaves as they fall and make a nice leaf mulch (or just add to the compost heap.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:19 »
The smallest sizes of plastic bottles or cans commonly used for mixer drinks make good protective cane toppers for any netting cages you may need to construct.

Never throw egg boxes away - apart from being commonly used for chitting spuds the cardboard ones are a good "brown" ingredient for the compost heap.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 23:46 »
Now here is the tricky bit...what more do I need

My trick is not to throw anything out until I've thought if there could be something else I could use it for - either re-purposed or composted

most jars/pots/cans bottles can be reused for something - cane toppers, storing saved seed, bottling and jar-ing  your own produce/jams/chutney/pickles etc..., pots and cans for seedlings and organising things in the shed and greenhouse

washed meat containers to stand your plant pots and toilet roll inners in (nice & deep to water them from the bottom), I use the deeper trays to organise my seed packets in a larger seed box

All sorts of 'one-offs' can be used, I've got:  a snapped wooden spatula as a row marker, old mop bucket with alpine straws in, a broken henry hoover now has mint hair  ::)   an old metal side-table as a small bench/plant stand, old cables tied to canes for plant supports, cd's tied to a broken extending dog lead to scare pigeons, sides from an old bookcase as 'walkboards'....

I'm sure you get the idea - the list is endless, you just have to think of a way to use it  :lol: :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 00:13 »
And that was all in one day!  ::) :D :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54 »
I rescued a couple of white plastic venetian blinds from the skip and have cut them up as large seed / plant labels for the allotment. I love a nose in a skip now I have an allotment and appear to be more of a recycler than I was.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05 »
I'm with vegGirl7 and use all those ideas. I also keep milk containers to plant beside thirsty plants to water direct to the roots, thus having more control over the amount of water given. Like cadalot, the Plotfater and I keep an eye on skips and wonder what we could use other people's rubbish for!!!!!

Debbieta

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 21:33 »
If you can get hold of some pallets, they are great for making a compost bit (or two), if you can find any old carpet to go over the top even better.  We also pruned some hazel trees which have now been used as permanent runner bean supports. have also use cornus branches for peas etc.  Yoghurt pots can also be used on the tops of canes to stop yourself losing an eye!

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53 »
I love a nose in a skip now I have an allotment and appear to be more of a recycler than I was.

Me too now  :tongue2: 8) :tongue2:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 13:26 »
Make sure you always ask permission from the house or skip owner before taking anything  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mbmyco2

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 17:33 »
We use our old 4 pint milk cartons and fill with water while we are waiting for it to get hot to keep for chickens and watering in greenhouse stored under the shelving in greenhouse never fill completely if overwointering it. we now onlyy use this and rainwater to do all our watering
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 33 queries.