Beautiful but non bulbing Celeriac

• 9 Replies

Shirley

Beautiful but non bulbing Celeriac
« on: November 14, 2011, 22:26 »
Monarch  or Giant Prague - 5th year at trying to grow this veggie and both varieties.  I sow indoors in Feb, prick off into individual pots and plant out when the weather and plants seem ready.  Again this year I have fabulous lookiing plants.  Good greenery and healthy strong roots...but nothing in between the two bigger than a deflated ping pong ball and on some plants not even that big!  I have allotments in various places, all with different soils and have tried on all of them.  Well worked heavy clay.  Sandy soil and lovely 'London loam' - but always the same result.  Zilch on the plate. What am I doing wrong  :(   Shirl Girl
Shirl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Beautiful but non bulbing Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 23:12 »
Have you removed the leaves from the outside of the bulbs as they've grown? This is supposed to encourage them to bulb up

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14 »
I do as MoS suggests. As the summer progresses, I start taking off some of the stems, a few at a time each week until eventually I'm just left with about 3-4 stems.

Just dug up my celerac today and I had lovely heads. I garden on clay soil which I manure annually, and water when its dry. I feel the real key is the stripping off of top leaves when the plant reaches a certain size so that the bulb can then size up.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01 »
I dug manure in before planting and watered with feed and liquid manure... I'm convinced it made a difference as those at less manured end of patch are tennis ball size and the more manured end are 5-6" across

Totty

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 18:51 »
Celeriac is one of only a few veggies that are very very gross feeders. The more manure and compost you add will pay you back with fast growing plants which will start to fatten while the weather is mild. Come late july / early august, as said above, you can start removing the leaves that are
on the outside of the plant, until eventually you have large bulbs with little green growth. Lots of water and lots of feed through the summer!

Totty

l

Shirley

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 19:09 »
Thank you all so much for your replies.   I have been taking off the leaves as the season moves on....but what I haven't really done is to manure very heavily - which is the thing you all have mentioned.   I have always grown in winter manured ground, but apart from a sprinkle of BFB underneath the plants as they're planted, they've been left to their own devices.  Soooooo...next spring they will get more manure than they know what to do with  :D
Again...thank you all so much
Shirl Girl

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 23:09 »
As indicated - Celeriac are gross feeders (as is celery but not related)
So ensure bed is wellprepared  with plenty of muck plus a good sprinkle of growmore
and then a regular liquid feed during the growing period plus a sprinkle of potash....
It is the sortof long haul crop that needs a bit of TLC.....  a bit like cauli's I guess.....
Death OR Cake ???

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 17:57 »
I read they need loads of water too.  I gave mine a good watering twice a week during the summer and mine are a lovely size now

Shirley

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 22:05 »
Ah yes.  Water.  Now I probably failed miserably in the watering area too. With 35 rods and a 'no hoses' policy, watering is not something I can major in. Once seedlings and plantlets are established they have to dig their roots down deeply to get the water they need.  A once weekly drenching is probably the only help they get.
Thanks Cooperman - and Kipper.   I'm going to lavish more care on them next year.  I grow great caulis so will treat my celeriac the same.   I am determined.........   :-)  What is your favourite variety ?
Shirl Girl

Bm1

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 21:22 »
I dug manure in before planting and watered with feed and liquid manure... I'm convinced it made a difference as those at less manured end of patch are tennis ball size and the more manured end are 5-6" across
What varieties of celeriac have you had larger success with please ?

xx
Are your onions bulbing up?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 22:07
by Wombat
xx
Fennel bulbing up

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 12:44
by compostqueen
xx
My Beautiful Melons

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

69 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 21:02
by trapper
xx
Beautiful toms, but...

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2015, 12:27
by LottyLouis

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.