wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

Lloyd

Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2011, 22:45 »
I believe unseasoned pine is the biggest byproduct producer in terms of tars, but we religiously get the flue swept every summer to be on the safe side.
"Fine words butter no parsnips". John Major.

kenny199

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2011, 19:28 »
I believe unseasoned pine is the biggest byproduct producer in terms of tars, but we religiously get the flue swept every summer to be on the safe side.
the soot used VERY sparingly is a very good slug repellant
To err is human, to arr is pirate

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24 »
I live near a small ironmongers shop they are greatful to get rid of thier pallets saves them time having a bonfire. i give the some biscujts or cake  to say thank you.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

hongu123

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2011, 15:31 »
Hi I work at a printers and we have surplus pallets constantly we have a couple of people who come and take them for fire wood. So go to your local printers and ask them. :blink:
Phill

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2012, 19:59 »
I happened to mention to a group of local teens that I'll be after some pallets in a few weeks time when I get my allotment. doorbell just went tonight and they've nicked four pallets off a skip and dragged them round to my flat. Very nice of them but not sure the rest of the tenants in my communal gardens will appreciate having them stacked against the wall.  :nowink:

btw it cost me 4 cans of diet coke and 4 cigarettes.  :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2012, 18:54 »
I happened to mention to a group of local teens that I'll be after some pallets in a few weeks time when I get my allotment. doorbell just went tonight and they've nicked four pallets off a skip and dragged them round to my flat. Very nice of them but not sure the rest of the tenants in my communal gardens will appreciate having them stacked against the wall.  :nowink:

btw it cost me 4 cans of diet coke and 4 cigarettes.  :D

Slave labour!!  :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

plot48callington

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2012, 15:51 »
At the moment I have a building site next door to my house where they are building 8 new houses. I waited for the builders and asked for the gaffer to see if I could get any of the 30 plus pallets stacked up. He reckoned he had a £15 deposit on each one, I nearly fell over when he said that. What makes it worse is no work has been done for at least two months on the site now and all these palletts are sitting there winking at me. In the end my other half has started bringing home the odd Half size pallet from work, she works for a small crisp company, so problem solved over time anyway. But I still keep having to walk past those idle pallets every day.

Sprinter60

• Vegetable Garden Direct
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52 »
Hi evie2, we collect from our local printers merchant, and use them to make propagation benches measuring 12ft by 6ft.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2012, 00:42 »
We've never paid for pallets, in fact a local builders yard let me choose the ones I wanted and delivered them the next day for free (They did happen to have a delivery on the same street  8) ) The stafff did say they are charged to have them removed.

We have since found a company on one of the industrial estates who keep a particular size of pallet for us, each time they get them in and are very pleased for us to take it of their hands.  They have good solid wood as spacers.  They have been used for shed base and we are using them as the base of a small decked area by the shed as a play area for our toddler  :D

Good luck finding pallets

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30 »
i get mine for free try putting an add on freecycle or your local friday-ad, your be surprised how many place will let you just take them.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Flatcat

« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28 »
We got a massive load of free pallets from Wickes a few years ago when we were starting up allotmenting. All they said was not to take the blue ones or ones stamped 'Wickes', but there were still a great selection to be had

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2012, 19:36 »
Chuffed with myself just make 3 picket fence pannels from pallets cut of the top rail and back and made points with the jigsaw ::)

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40 »

I saw this on the internet and was considering trying it, not sure what they've used as a base but I have a tarpaulin and was considering 'tacking' that onto it. What do you think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 18:38 »
You'd need to put drainage holes in the tarpaulin but it could work.

I have concerns about some of the plants there - they look a little like brassicas, which will need wider spacing once grown a bit more.

Perhaps they're using it more as a seed bed?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2012, 20:00 »
Good point about drainage, thanks. I was thinking of using it for lettuce, spring onions and radishes.

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
more pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 18:42
by arugula
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 41 queries.