« on: July 06, 2020, 12:37 »
Why is my lavender looking like this
15AF525D-6296-459F-BA4D-BD95ACE61BA1.jpeg
metal detector man

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Lavender
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:49 »
They can go like that at the base.  If you give it a good trim back straight after flowering, it should get a flush of fresh new leaves.

Don't cut back into the really woody stuff at the bottom, but you can be pretty robust about it otherwise.

mdjlucan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 14:08 »
It’s only last year’s lavender plant would it be the tree that shadowing it is making it go like that

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:28 »
I think it is that the lavender has grown very well and the bottom of the plant had been shaded by the top growth. Add in a lot of rain and all those wet leaves sagging down can make the leaves at the base of the plant rot.

Lavender does like full sun and well drained soil. If it shaded by a tree it won’t be completely happy, but that one looks not too bad.

It is tough stuff. Neaten it up with a good cut back and it should be fine. You just need some air and light to the base to stop the rot  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 16:34 »
My Lavender, which I call the French Variety, with the tufts on the top, hasn't moved this year, came into bud about 6 weeks ago and hasn't done a thing.  It is in a tub, have I over-watered it.
Anyway, today I bought a proper Lavender "Hidcote".  It is not enormous yet.  These are my questions.  I ifI take the french one out, can I use the container for the new one,    What soil should I plant it in, and how often should I water it.    Also can it live out all winter.   I appreciate your answers - got to get it right this time !
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 17:00 »
English lavender should be fully winter hardy (especially given the winters we've had in recent years.)

It does very well in relatively poor sandy soils (like mine!) - main requirements are good drainage and a sunny spot.
Won't need as much watering as lusher, leafier plants, but don't push it too far.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:09 »
Thanks for the answer,  shall I mix gravel or perlite or something with multi-purpose to go in the container ?    Mrs B

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 12:59 »
My choice would be a bit of ordinary garden soil mixed in to provide a bit of mineral content - I wouldn't bother with either gravel or perlite, which might make it drain too quickly, and you don't want to have to be watering more than you have to.

xx
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2018, 18:11
by mumofstig
clip
Lavender

3 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 23:43
by Johndeb
clip
Lavender

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2024, 17:54
by Yorkie
xx
lavender

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 09:46
by JayG

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 48 queries.