coronavirus and its consequences

• 99 Replies

jambop

coronavirus and its consequences
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:01 »

Well France is in lock down now all I have to occupy my time is the garden... place will be like the hanging gardens of Babylon by the time the crisis is over ! Seriously though stay safe people.

OakR

Re: coronavirus and its consequences
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:14 »
I'm not sure what people will do or be allowed to do in terms of visiting allotments. In the UK I think it will be allowed, and hopefully people can just be careful at the entry and exit points.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:44 »
Hopefully we will be allowed to visit allotments. Unless you had a very small plot you must be a metre away from neighbours. I think I’m going to grow salad crops at home in case we are banned from allotments. Sorry to mention it but I also think we have be aware that some crops might pilfered at allotments and I don’t just mean the rabbits and slugs we normally contend with.
Good luck to all
Stay safe!
Cheers HH
Keep digging

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 15:59 »
i must say we need to get clarification regarding visiting our allotments because there is so much to be done being held back by the wet autumn the late spring most of us have potatoes onion sets and more to plant so we really need know if we can visit our allotments within the government guidelines

taking into account that we would be there working and therefore not as a  social gathering  less than five people i know we all need to consider the health implications of this virus to us older members of society and others but  being out in the fresh air basically not having any contact with people like on busses or trains or in shops and other places surely this must be taken into consideration when advising people if working on the allotments is acceptable within the present health guidelines

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 16:09 »
Good question .

Hopefully we should be able to tend our crops and not have to rely on the shops.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 16:20 »
I am definitely wanting to start the season. My spuds are ready to plant too as soon as the ground dries out a bit more and my onion sets need to go out too. I have just bought some more large pots for salad and vegetables at home but it would be a waste to not cultivate my plot. The weather down here in Hampshire seems to be perking up so I think I will have a go at preparing my beds before the week end. At present we seem to be living from day to day as far as guidance is concerned so I will prepare whilst I think I’m still allowed.
Cheers HH

Christine

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 16:27 »
Suppose it depends on the allotment sites and the ages of the plot holders. It's an individual thing. As one of the plot holders said as we came home today, he can walk in, has no underlying health issues and we can both work our plots without coming into contact except shouting at each other at a great distance. That comes under the heading of exercise. ?

jambop

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 17:20 »
It is a real concern but I would assume if the correct protocols are followed people should be OK to work on their allotment, it is not as if you are having a big party down there... are you?? :lol:

Looks like the next four or five days are going to be really nice down here so I should get a lot done. I have nearly finished re posting my fence 80m long and a post every two meters bloomin hard work. My garden ground is very wet still so nothing can be done in the open ground but my raised beds are workable so I have a fair bit to do there. In many ways this virus has helped focus my attention ... I have no escape from doing the work!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 17:27 by jambop »

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 17:54 »
I did some work a few weeks back.  Will have some seedlings to put in soon.  My allotment is quite out of the way, I'll disinfect after touching the gate and go down when nobody else is there.

As a poster has already said I fear if things get worse there are some in the community who'll think nothing of stripping allotments empty on basis that they believe they are above queuing or going without.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 18:29 »
We've been told today that "At this time, government advice is that exercising outdoors for those without symptoms is still acceptable so long as people maintain a distance between each other."

Obviously, if government advice changes, so may this too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 19:28 »
Having an allotment is going to be a godsend over Spring and summer. I intend to be down there most days, weather permitting. No need to get within six feet of anyone else, yet still able to chat with others.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 19:55 »
I shall certainly continue to work the plot, salad sowing starts this week and we'll be wanting the homegrown stuff to supplement our shopping as we have no idea how long the greedy muppets are going to continue the feckless stockpiling.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 11:04 »
I think a really nice gesture to anyone you know who is going to have to self isolate to protect themselves would be to offer a few spare seeds, perhaps some seedlings, plus pots and sort them out with some compost.

I can see tending a few easy going flowers or veg every day in the garden could be a great activity.  Fresh air and exercise are still going to be important to everyone  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 11:52 »
I think a really nice gesture to anyone you know who is going to have to self isolate to protect themselves would be to offer a few spare seeds, perhaps some seedlings, plus pots and sort them out with some compost.

I can see tending a few easy going flowers or veg every day in the garden could be a great activity.  Fresh air and exercise are still going to be important to everyone  :)

Just been round to some retired friends of ours who have self isolated and dropped them some of my spare seed packs!

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 15:09 »
seed sowing's are at present on hold i wish someone would give us a clear definitive answer can we go to the allotments a mile away or not I'm taking on board what Yorkie said  because its so hit and miss who the hell do you ask about these things dilly dallying about yes you can no you can't

its like putting a sack over your head somewhere you don't know and telling you find your way home :mad: one thing i do know i can self isolate down the allotments more than i can at home  >:(

xx
Coronavirus.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 20:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Coronavirus

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 16:43
by Aidy
xx
Coronavirus questions please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 19:02
by John
xx
Coronavirus now a pandemic

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 16:34
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 56 queries.