unwell chook

• 2 Replies

Nina 77

unwell chook
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:27 »
Hello - up until now I have never had any problems with my little girls (I have 3  minatures -  1 Wellsummer, 1 lavender Araucana and 1 araucana and silkie cross).  they are coming up to 2 years old.  My silkie cross ( Dusty) goes Broody ever other month... which is adorable.  She was broody for the best part of February and about a week or so ago showed signs that she was coming out of her broody tendencies.  2 nights ago I went to shut them in the coop but realised Dusty has not made it up the ramp to bed...I picked her up and put her in.  she did the same thing last night.  She is not eating but still drinking.   We took her out today and she is walking very slow and gingerly... she waddled back to the coop and is sitting underneather the housing unit.  I am just wondering whether there could be an egg stuck ???  the other girls, which share the same coop and eat the same food appear to be completely fine.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I love my little chooks and hate to see one not well :(

many thanks

Pol

• Pauline
Re: unwell chook
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:46 »
Hi Nina, I am not sure whats wrong with your hen but if you think she has a egg stuck take her to the vets, they should be able to tell you 
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Jeanette

Re: unwell chook
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:05 »
You could sit her in a bowl of warm water for half an hour to forty five minutes it will help to relax the muscles and if there is an egg she might be able to pass it easier. Chickens will relax when you give them a bath they do like it. When you get her out dry her of with the hairdryer on low do not have it hotter as it will burn her skin. Also feel very gently under her vent if an egg is there you may be able to feel it. Be very carefull so as not to break the egg inside her.
Also feel under her wing is it warm then feel under another girls wing to compare. If she feel hotter then she is running a temperture.
After you have done all this if she is no better then a trip to the vet would be in order.
Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Unwell hen

Started by Beano on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 13:27
by Beano
xx
Unwell hen

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 17:49
by Aunt Sally
sad
stargazing-my hen unwell-help!

Started by cheekymouse on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 10:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 32 queries.