One not well - advice please

• 6 Replies

pacman

One not well - advice please
« on: February 28, 2011, 16:39 »
Hi everyone, we're new to chicken keeping, had our allotment 2 years but just got 5 hybrids and a cock last week.
Anyway..the cock is a nasty piece of work, attacks the wife as soon as she walks into the run and try's to have a go at me but a swift size 10 his way soon puts him in his place. !
All the hens were fine, healthy and laying till the cock took either a disliking or an obsession with one of the hens and was forever pecking at her and pinning her to the floor so much so that 3 days ago she could bearly stand and only managed 2 steps before falling over sideways.
I have put her in quarantine but her condition isnt improving, I have checked her legs and they dont appear broken ?
Could it be the cock that has injured her or is she a sick bird ?
The birds were bought from a breeder recommended by other hens keepers. They were born last August.
Any advice from the experienced out there would be appreciated.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: One not well - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 17:46 »
Welcome Pacman!  I am not sure you about your girl, but am sure will get lots of replies with good advice, but I wonder if maybe you should get rid of your cockrel.  You don't need him unless you want to breed.  Chickens should be fun, not scary! ;)

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 19:25 »
Welcome to the forum pacman
I don't really know how to help but I do agree with Tigerwren re the rooster. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

wildy78

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 20:23 »
Hi  think i disagree re the cockrel, as i had the same problem with my Cockrel to start with.  He stripped the feathers from the tops of my 4 hens heads within a day or so with his violent riding style.  I have kept him and he did calm down, but, i havenow swamped him with a further 3 hens which seems to have calmed him even further.

Can i suggest a tonic such as life guard, in their water to try to help calm them and give them a health pick me up after the stress of their move to their new premises, were they all together before or are they new to each other? if new to each other the bullying will calm down in my experience.

hope this is of some use.
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

pacman

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 16:34 »
Well guys & gals the cock has gone (given to another allotment keeper), the quarantined hen appears a little better and is trying to walk around but falls over after 4 or 5 steps - time will tell.
All the other 4 hens are much happier without the fear of getting pecked, so all being well we are back on track and looking forward to eggs with everything !!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 16:45 »
Chicken keeping is such a pleasure, but can be sooo stressy too. You didnt need the bad lad unless you wanted to breed, if you just want eggs, your lovely girls are all thats needed.  If your poorly chooky is still eating and drinking, she's not too ill...the cock may have bruised her or hurt her muscles or something, keep an eye out for breathing difficulties, and discharge from eyes, nose or vent and feather contition...if they're smooth and flat, she's feeling ok, if they're all puffed up and rough looking, she's feeling unwell. Check her temperature by placing your hand under her wing and then under the wings of the others. You should be able to tell if she's hotter than the others. Sadly with chickens, it's usually too late when the real visible signs of illness show up so you have too look out for the subtle signs...but that knowledge comes from knowing your chickens very well. So enjoy learning about your new friends, ohesitate to get in touch with any other concerns...I bore everybody wittless with my inane ramblings :) :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:21 »
Personally I would not breed from a nasty cockerel!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
I want some advice please

Started by eggsandgardens on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 17:52
by mumsy
xx
Fox advice

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 13:07
by ANHBUC
xx
Some advice please

Started by febee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 09:23
by nicky d

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.