IVY

• 8 Replies

leggygirls

IVY
« on: February 27, 2010, 13:23 »
I've spotted my hens picking at and eating ivy leaves (the common 3 pronged type that grows up fences, tree trunks etc).  Is this a "NO NO"?
P.S. Got my 1st egg today!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: IVY
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 13:31 »
Grats on the egg, Its lovely collecting that first one (and every one after that)
Will be watching for answers regarding the ivy, my neighbour has it in her garden but it always grows over into ours.

Nickchick

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 15:15 »
Hello

In the middle of our chicken run is a tree and wrapped around the tree is ivy so my 2 ex-batts are exposed to it all the time.  It doesn't seem to do them any harm but I am no expert :wacko:

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 15:32 »
Hi

My oh has been putting various bits in the run for our girls and I noticed he had put in some ivy leaves aswell.  I have been gathering them up and throwing them out as I wasn't sure if they were alright or not.  I will also be very interested to hear!
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 17:59 »
If it is 'normal' English Ivy (Hedera helix) you need not worry. Many wild birds such as pigeons, depend upon the fruits for food in winter and there is more toxic material in fruits than leaves.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 21:50 »
With the girls free-ranging in the garden all Winter about all I've got left that's green is ivy.
They don't touch it except to scrit around it for wriggly edibles.......

wardy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 22:28 »
Sorry don't know about ivy,just wondered about privite (think thats how you spell it) hedge, is that dangerous to chooks?

Regards

Wardy

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17 »
Privet is a bit like ivy in that the toxicity changes with the species and the berries are the most toxic part (not often seen on trimmed hedges). The common variety is not very toxic; berries can cause diarrhoea in children. Other (exotic) species may cause more problems.
We have lots of privet hedging and the chooks have shown no interest in eating it - mind you they are choosy and spoiled  ;).

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:43 »
well in my garden I have the following that are toxic - laurel, ivy, clover, cellandine, yew (only the little black seed is poisoness the red sticky berry itself isn't), apples, plums, pears, and cherries (all of the pips/stones of these are poisoness) plus probably lots more that I haven't looked up. Most are only toxic if eaten in any great quantity  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 29 queries.