Advice Please!

• 3 Replies

Chicken sheila

Advice Please!
« on: August 25, 2013, 22:14 »

I have 2 problems that I could do with a bit of advice, I have had 1 lone hatch from my incububator that is now 5 days old, I have 7 hens of which 2 are sitting on eggs,5 between them. The 2 sitting on eggs are in a separate coop, they appear to swap eggs around when one of them nips out for a few minutes, although they appear relaxed with each other I'm concerned that when chicks are born they may squabble of them & potentially harm the chicks. So my questions are do I separate the 2 mothers to be or leave them where they are? & how can I integrate my lone chick in with the others when they are born? If we have hatching date right there will be 7 days between them. This is our first time at letting the hens do it themselves.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 21:53 »
Hi Sheila, If you have another coop for the broody I would put one in it after dark with a couple of eggs (unfertilised).  I would put all the fertile eggs under the other broody at the same time.  If the hen you move is settled on them in the morning I would take your chick and slide it under her and remove one of the eggs at the same time.  Do it calmly, close up the coop and listen for any hostilities.  Any problems remove the chick straight away.  Hopefully she will accept the chick and in a few days she will discard the other egg.  :) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Chicken sheila

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 23:13 »
Thanks, will give this a try & let you know the outcome!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 23:16 »
I have put chicks under a broody and taken away eggs successfully more than once so I will keep my fingers crossed for you.   :)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
advice please

Started by darren the gardener on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:48
by Tony H
xx
One not well - advice please

Started by pacman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 09:21
by Sassy
xx
Really need some advice

Started by jackieb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 08:44
by Foxy

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.