blanching in the microwave?

• 2 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
blanching in the microwave?
« on: June 17, 2020, 17:31 »
I am planning to freeze kale and leaf-beet, and wondered what people's various methods are. [/li][/list]
-Do any of you blanch in the microwave? What is the process?
-Do any of you not bother blanching and just freeze from fresh? If so how does this turn out?
-I was interested to read on the preserving pages on here that kale is not suitable for freezing - but you can buy bags of frozen kale in the supermarket?
Rachael

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: blanching in the microwave?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 21:48 »
I've never blanched in the microwave - if I blanch, it's boiling water and a metal sieve to put the veg into it and remove after a few minutes.

Where I'm going to eat the veg fairly soon, then I might not bother blanching.  But longer than a couple of months, then I do plan to blanch.

Freezing is always on open trays, before putting into bags, to avoid clumping during freezing.

I have frozen kale; it was rather brittle and not the best after cooking, but better than losing it completely was my thought process.  Perhaps commercial freezers do it much more quickly and thus effectively?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: blanching in the microwave?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:49 »
I have never frozen kale.  We sell bags of it at work, but it will have been blast frozen so not something easy to replicate at home.

Leef beet I take off the stems, pile in a colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over it.  Use a spoon and fork to turn over after a minute or so.  The residual heat will wilt the rest.  Once cool, squeeze out excess water and chop.  I make small heaps of it on a baking sheet, freeze for a couple of hours then bag up.  It comes out looking like the bags of frozen spinach you can buy, but with tons more flavour  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:27 by New shoot »

xx
Microwave blanching.

Started by Tom Netall on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 21:43
by Tom Netall
xx
blanching in microwave

Started by jenw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 18:23
by jenw
xx
Blanching veg in a microwave oven?

Started by Coach on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 16:03
by arugula
xx
microwave jam

Started by jack russell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

26 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 15:01
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 42 queries.