Strawberry plants - white stuff on crowns

• 9 Replies

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« on: April 24, 2008, 14:16 »
I bought some very expensive cold-stored strawberry runners from a reputable mail order company. I planted them up in growbags about 2 weeks ago and they are now living on a wooden bench (outside) on our plot. When I was having a look at them last night - checking to see if they needed watering - I noticed some white mouldy looking stuff on the crowns of them near the soil of the growbags. They are only very small plants so far - about 3 inches tall/wide. Does this sound like something sinister or am I worrying about nothing. I couldn't bear to have them all die while they're still babies  :cry:  I lost all my toms (first attempt at fruit/veg growing) to botrytis/blight last year  :(

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 14:48 »
if you are worred then rather than risk loosing the lot give them a spray of fungeside best be safe than sorry

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 18:09 »
part of the problem could be too much dampness especially close to the crown. I'd suggest you carefully dig one up and see if the roots are healthy or rotting  looking. To save the plants, a one time surface spray would be helpful.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 20:27 »
Might be some white crown and root rot, all sorts of fungi involved, might have come from compost, soil of grow bag. If it is that, you don't have much hope of treatment, any chance of a piccie?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:16 »
Thank you everybody  :)

I'll take some pics, either this evening or tomorrow gobs. What would I spray them with if I need to go down that route - something like Dithane?

I'm hoping to bump into one of the 'old boys' down our lottie who grows rows and rows of strawbs. He's had his plot over 40 years so maybe he'll have some ideas too.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:47 »
I can't really advise on chemicals, as I don't use them. My knowledge of anti-fungal agents starts with garlic, sulphur and ends with Bordaux mixture.

Depending what it is, nothing might work though and it will cost you not much less, than replacing the plants.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 15:13 »
I agree there. If it's crown rot, then it's cheaper to just replace the plants and not put them in the same spot to avoid spreading it. I'm not into chemicals either. If you're going to replace, do it soon before stocks run out for the season.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 15:57 »
Here's the advice on crown rot from the site where I bought the strawberry runners from:

This disease affects strawberry plants. The variety ‘Tamella’ is particularly susceptible and many other popular varieties may also become infected. The disease is worse in the warmer parts of the country and when strawberries are grown under glass or in polythene tunnels.

DAMAGE
The symptoms are similar to Verticillium Wilt and are seen in mid-summer or earlier if the plants are grown under glass. First the younger leaves wilt, then the older leaves and the whole plant turns to a yellowish colour and then collapses and dies. A closer examination will reveal that the crown of the plant has rotted as well as the lower part of the stalks of the wilting leaves emanating from the infected crown. Infection comes from the soil but it can be introduced on infected runners.

CONTROL
Chemicals are ineffective against this disease. Infected plants should be removed and burnt and new plants should be planted on fresh soil, selecting a variety that is tolerant to the disease. Consider using the table-top method for growing strawberries, whereby the plants are grown in growbags and supported above the ground on a frame. Strawberry Table-Tops are available from Ken Muir.

Slightly strange as I AM using the 'table-top' method. I think I'll have to forget the idea if they are no good. This lot cost me between £25 and £30 for 24 including p+p (can't remember the exact amount).

gobs

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 18:46 »
What you quoting here is a black rot. But let's see that photo, might be something different. Hopefully.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:22 »
Thanks to all who posted on this! I think I was panicking unduly. I had a good old look at them yesterday and they seem to be fine now. They're growing away well and I can only see the tiniest bit of white stuff left on the stems right by the compost. Am planning on feeding them with some Tomorite today  :)  Thanks again everyone!

xx
White grubs eaten into strawberry plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 23:50
by viettaclark
xx
Strawberry runners and Rhubarb crowns

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 23:02
by Trillium
xx
asparagus plants or crowns

Started by colin h on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 18, 2011, 12:34
by crh75
xx
where do I buy Asparagus crowns or plants

Started by Hawkins on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 01:20
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 39 queries.